Poor Battery life on iOS 4.3.1 jailbroken iPhone

Navaskdl

Bronze
Dec 27, 2010
I was getting a fair battery life before the updates of 4.3 and so. Lately I noticed that I am getting hardly 5 hours of 3G internet. Before I used to charge once in two days. Now twice in a day! Is it abnormal? I tried downgrades of 4.2.1, 4.3, and 4.3.1 to test what is wrong. All gave me same results. 1% drain in every 3 mins! Where can I find a solution? I am in united Arab emirates( Dubai). Where is the Apple store in uae? I am now on 4.3.1 jb with snowbreeze Any suggestions please?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Thread moved to the iPhone Jailbreak section.

Try restoring your phone to the latest firmware which is currently 4.3.3. It's jailbreakable and un-tethered. I've found battery life on 4.3.3 to be "normal", try restoring from new and then sync your info/media back onto the device, then re-apply your jailbreak.

Navaskdl

Bronze
Dec 27, 2010
I did that also. It doesn't make any improvement, rather more worse! Could I get only 5 hours on 3G?I use yahoo messenger and Facebook. I am sure I had a better battery life before.:(

offroadhunter

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
New York
I had a similar issue, I could literally watch the battery % dropping! I dropped my firmware down to 4.2.1 and every version up to 4.3.3 Ultimately I wound up sticking with 4.3.1, long story short I manually reinstalled my JB apps/tweaks manually, starting with just the necessary items first. I've since been adding tweaks one at a time and the phone has incredible battery life now. Oddly enough my wife's 3gs had the same issue and I followed the same process and it worked great. It's a good idea to get rid of unused tweaks and as John said, restore from new as well.

Navaskdl

Bronze
Dec 27, 2010
@offroad
Could you please explain more on that? What you mean by manually installing jb apps? I checked with all versions with and without jailbreaks as well and with new restore. Now I am on 4.3.1 snowbreeze jb, which seems (very little)better than others. I hardly get 5 hours on 3g use. I am very unhappy compared to before. Could you guide me please.

offroadhunter

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
New York
@offroad
Could you please explain more on that? What you mean by manually installing jb apps? I checked with all versions with and without jailbreaks as well and with new restore. Now I am on 4.3.1 snowbreeze jb, which seems (very little)better than others. I hardly get 5 hours on 3g use. I am very unhappy compared to before. Could you guide me please.
Sure.. firstly my current iPhone 4 usage is at 2hours 11 mins and standby is 5 hours and i'm at 72%.. pretty good i'd say. In the past I would normally use something like pkgbackup, everytime I updated my firmware I would use the app and reinstall everything I had in the past. Since the significant battery run off I decided to go in and add my tweaks one at a time, only start with the essentials at first. You could accomplish the same thing with pkgbackup by only selecting what you want to install but if I do that I know i'll wind up put everything back on my phone. Start with just the basics (sbsettings, ifile, remove background, etc... ) and watch the battery life. If you are happy with how it's working then add a few more, point is just add your tweaks/apps gradually rather then jumping right back in with everything. I'm really happy with my current 4.3.1 and battery life.

Navaskdl

Bronze
Dec 27, 2010
Thanks for the reply. However I am not even using those sb settings and all. Just a normal jailbreak to install cydia and only few jb apps. I had a battery life in the past, when I was on 4.2.1 upto two days of average use with 3G Internet including yahoo measenger and facebook and bit hungry shark too. Ah, even google maps!( now i am afraid to open google maps! Lol)My battery life has gone significantly down lately I guess after the 4.3 series of os. I tried to restore fresh, even without jailbreak, with the stock applications only. I did even the adjustments like push off, store off, ping off, brightness less and so.. But I am very sad. Just 5 hours of 3G use is a bad life isn't it? As you said on the first post I could see the battery percent going down and that increased my heart beat too! Where is the power drain? If it is that excess it should heat up my phone right? But it is not so! What could be the issue? Software again or hardware itself? Should I ask for service/replacement? Thanks!

offroadhunter

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
New York
I'd try and do what John said above... restore as "new" instead of restoring from backup.. all of your settings will be fresh and you can see if that helps.. You can always restore from a backup afterwards. Also once you do restore wait a bit before running redsn0w (or whatever JB method you are using) and see if you notice any difference. If nothing else works i'd bring it to Apple and let them watch as the battery % drops. In my case it was def a tweak, I don't know which one since I decided to remove about 10 of them at the same time.