Poor LTE signal

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
First, some background information...

The house that I live in is over 100 years old (102 to be exact). When I had an iPhone 5/5S, the cellular service was good. Since I've had an iPhone 6, I've noticed the cellular reception is not as good especially for 4g service. Occasionally, I'll get three dots, but most of the time it is two dots. The best you can have is five dots which I've rarely had and not at home. It's usually when I travel.

I reset the Network Settings, but that made no difference as the speed/signal is about the same.

I'm on the Verizon network. How is your cellular service?

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
My experience for the past weeks is anecdotal but it seems that my AT&T LTE signal performance has been less than normal recently as well. I'd been thinking it's a carrier issue. Now, you have me wondering if it's iOS version related. I'm presently on the latest, 8.4.1.
YMMV

[ Edit - I forgot to mention that I currently have a 5S. ]

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Inside I get 3 or 4 dots on my 5. My Wife gets 2 dots on her 5c. The antenna must be different. If I walk out the front door about 10 feet, the signal goes to 5 dots. Something inside is interfering with my signal. Right now it's at -98. That would show 3 dots.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
My experience for the past weeks is anecdotal but it seems that my AT&T LTE signal performance has been less than normal recently as well. I'd been thinking it's a carrier issue. Now, you have me wondering if it's iOS version related. I'm presently on the latest, 8.4.1.
YMMV

[ Edit - I forgot to mention that I currently have a 5S. ]
I'm wondering that too. I'm running the latest iOS 9 beta version.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
I experienced the same apparent reduction in signal strength when I went from my 5 to a 6 and the same thing a few month later when my wife upgraded also. In all fairness, however, we haven't experienced any change in the quality of service because of the change of phones. Perhaps the method of measuring signal strength is slightly different in the two phone models rather than the phone's ability to receive and process the cellular signals.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I experienced the same apparent reduction in signal strength when I went from my 5 to a 6 and the same thing a few month later when my wife upgraded also. In all fairness, however, we haven't experienced any change in the quality of service because of the change of phones. Perhaps the method of measuring signal strength is slightly different in the two phone models rather than the phone's ability to receive and process the cellular signals.
If you notice from my comment above, my 5 and my Wife's 5c are different. We can be side by side and I'll have 4 dots and hers will have 2 dots. Verizon says it's the antenna. But I haven't heard anyone complain about the 5c signal. Her 5c never goes above 2 dots at home, where my 5 varies from 3 to 5. Usually 3 or 4. To get the best signal test results, one really needs to test outside. There's too much inside that can interfere with the signal. A lot of metal, for example. This is also true for the wifi signal. I had a big 26 cu. ft. fridge blocking the wifi signal between 2 rooms. I pulled it out about 3' from the wall and the signal went from 1 Mbps to 8 Mbps. Something is definitely interfering with my wireless signal. I have yet to find the culprit.

Nov 9, 2012
For about a year i was with Virgin Mobil and was told they used Sprints net work, i had been with Spring before and got a good signal. But about a Month ago my Samsung III phone was having in coming calls go to voice mail. Called Virgin after talking to two of their support "experts" this was around 1-1/2 hours with no resolve . I was told we are sending you a letter. a LETTER I NEED a PHONE that can get a call.
I went back to Sprint got a iPhone6 and they told me Virgin Mobil does use Sprints system, but Virgin Mobil does not pay for a strong signal. My problem my phone just was not getting any good signal.
So i don't know about what system your provider is using, but i bet the signal quality is the major problem.