Poor Reception Service

gman232

May 27, 2008
My iPhone gets really poor reception, does anybody have suggestions to boost reception signal:mad:

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
My iPhone gets really poor reception, does anybody have suggestions to boost reception signal:mad:
Your options are pretty limited. First and foremost, if you don't have adequate AT&T coverage in your area, there is simply nothing that you can do to improve the situation.

That said, the antenna for the iPhone is located on the bottom of the iPhone. You may be able to eke out a little additional signal strength depending on iPhone orientation (don't cover it with your hand).

Some reception is due to interference (building materials, other wireless products in the area). Try moving to a different area within the location you are trying to call from.

Finally, you may want to look into a cell phone booster. Products are not cheap, but do exist to beef up your signal strength.

skyesview

May 28, 2008
Marshall, NC
Can you tell me more about cell phone boosters? I love my phone, but drop calls all the time! Thanks. Catherine

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I have one for HTC 8125, I never used but it looks like a metal coil-like oval shaped thing that is supposed to stick to the back of the phone, the only reason I got was because I found for $3 dollars.

-But I'd imagine that for an iphone-if Apple made it- they would over-price lit like hell probably be like $50 dollars

uPhone559

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
It's weird can someone explain to me why everytime I get a new phone I always have bad service when my parents, friends on ATT always get 5 bars?

I wish Att was as reliable as Verizon here, I miss there service but love the iPhone

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I like Catherine's avatar.
Anyways, I had great service with Verizon and terrible now with AT&T. If I go to my mom's house I get no service at all with AT&T. I called AT&T a few times about this. They said the more people call and complain about a certain area the more they will take a look and see if they need to improve service in that area. They also did something while I was on the phone with them to resend some kind of new signal to my phone and had me turn my phone off and on several times. It seems to get a little better but still not as good as Verizon.
Another thing that was posted in this forum a few months ago that helps sometimes is if you take your sim card out and put a tiny piece of scotch tape on it. For some reason it picks up a better signal. I tried this and did get an extra bar out of it. You can search the forum here for instructions on how to do this.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Put some scotch tape on the SIM? That is the weirdest thing I have ever heard, who would have ever thought to try that?
-It sucks how the most simplest things are needed to function the most advanced technology :)

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Yep, but people here swear their reception is better after doing this. I was very surprised when I tried it and mine actually did improve a little, I had more bars.

daddyd302

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
I have 4 or 5 bars and my calls are getting dropped. It's happen 5 times already and 2 times today both with 5 bars, so I wonder why my bars are so high yet my calls are getting dropped. This is even on Wi-Fi in my house which has happen 2 times.