POP Email! Please Help!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jstemp33

Jun 20, 2007
I am able to send a email out using my pop3 Bellsouth.net account but not able to view inbox/incoming messages! I get a message in my inbox on iPhone "Load 25 more messages". I can not see any inbox message but that message. I need someone that knows email setup to PLEASE HELP ASAP!

I would really appreciate it!

bbradyy

Jun 30, 2007
same problem...

i am having the same problem. i use yahoo POP email to redirect my email to Mail on my comp and attempted to do the same for my iPhone. Message comes up in the inbox "Load 31 More Messages...", then nothing.

TechnoDoc

Jul 2, 2007
I am having the same problem. I can send email without problems, but do not receive any. I am using the exact POP settings as I used on my Treo(s) for 3+ years. The settings and the servers are the same, just the iPhone is different. I went to an Apple store, and the 'genius' had no clue.

Jul 2, 2007
I am able to send a email out using my pop3 Bellsouth.net account but not able to view inbox/incoming messages! I get a message in my inbox on iPhone "Load 25 more messages". I can not see any inbox message but that message. I need someone that knows email setup to PLEASE HELP ASAP!

I would really appreciate it!

I thought that was a problem too but there aren't any messages in the inbox to read. I think thats like a default setting to bring that many messages in the inbox over, but with no messages in the inbox there is nothing to forward to your phone. send yourself a test message and that should go away. it did on mine.

TechnoDoc

Jul 2, 2007
I thought that was a problem too but there aren't any messages in the inbox to read. I think thats like a default setting to bring that many messages in the inbox over, but with no messages in the inbox there is nothing to forward to your phone. send yourself a test message and that should go away. it did on mine.
I have sent/received 50+ messages to that POP mailbox, and none of them show up on the iPhone.

gts

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
If they are on your outlook (or email program), then they are off the Pop Server and not able to go to the I phone most likely. So what I did was set up a gmail account and send my pop email to that account. Then have the iPhone pick up all the messages from there (gmail). As long as I don't delete the messages from the Gmail or iPhone, they will always be there for me.

It may be that you have your mail reader (outlook or whatever) remove your email from the server before it can go to your iPhone unless you get it in your iPhone before you open it a home. If you open it in your email program at home or work it will no longer be available on the phone. Most email programs default to not leaving the message on the server because it fills up your inbox on the Server.

Of course you can always make sure that you have “leave a copy of the message on the server” checked and it will go to your phone AND your normal email box. One draw back to not having it push to the phone I guess.

Jul 2, 2007
yeah what he said. however...I have set up my pop email to go to my phone. I first turn on the pop account under the settings>mail. once the phone pop account is turned on. I cannot get email through the pop account on my computer. so this would be ok during the day when not at home or when on vacation etc. once the pop email account is turned off on the phone. I can then receive email on my pop account on the computer. any email received by the phone will be available on the computer...at least thats what I have experienced in a test so far.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
I am afraid I will needlessly confuse the issue with this, but I would recommend for anyone who can to use IMap. It works well for me because then I have the same mail on my phone and on my computer. If I delete something on my phone, it will not later show up on my computer.

The only problem is you can't move messages in folders, as far as I can tell, and you can't create new folders on the phone. But in terms of having the mail in one spot, that is the same, it has worked well for me.

I think someone else mentioned this, but if you have a pc checking your mailbox as well, you need to make sure you "Leave Mail on Server" so the mail is still there for the iPhone. I don't even remember if this is an option for the iPhone in POP3, I would have to go back and check. I just find managing mail from multiple locations is much easier with IMap then POP3.

Jul 2, 2007
pop email on the iPhone will not allow you to save mail on the server. however when you turn on the pop mail account on the iPhone access is restricted to the iPhone and you will be unable to receive email through your computer that has the pop email account set up on. once the pop account is turned off on the iPhone you can then receive email on the computer. all the received email on the iPhone will download to the computer. I see this as a good thing and not a bad thing.

tsmith00

Jun 30, 2007
pop email on the iPhone will not allow you to save mail on the server. however when you turn on the pop mail account on the iPhone access is restricted to the iPhone and you will be unable to receive email through your computer that has the pop email account set up on. once the pop account is turned off on the iPhone you can then receive email on the computer. all the received email on the iPhone will download to the computer. I see this as a good thing and not a bad thing.

That's not true..I am using Yahoo pop mail and I have the server emails unaffected by what I do on iPhone.

tsmith00

Jun 30, 2007
your right. what I meant was that the iPhone doesn't give you the option. it automatically saves them there isn't the option to delete them.

Well, there IS an option/way I believe where you can have the server mails deleted when you check it from your phone. I actually like the fact that the server mails are not affected...

Jul 2, 2007
Well, there IS an option/way I believe where you can have the server mails deleted when you check it from your phone. I actually like the fact that the server mails are not affected...
I agree, but I have yet to see an option/way to change that setting for the iPhone

luckfam

Bronze
May 31, 2007
I cannot seem to configure bellsouth email. I am properly putting in pop settings but it will not work. any suggestions?