Pop-up iAds

Discussion in 'everythingiCafe App Support' started by michael180, Dec 30, 2013.

1. michael180

michael180 Zealot
    Gold

I just downloaded the new iCafe app, lured by the updated design for iOS7. Is there a way to get rid of those ugly iAds that keep popping up? I would pay for it. The article describing the new app shows it without the ugly iAds.

Any suggestions?

2. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

My guess is that they are there to stay. EiC has to generate revenue somehow to pay for the site. :)

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Believe me when I say we could certainly use the revenue, but this was actually a mistake on my part. In the rush to push out the app, the ads were enabled for members. I'm working right now on an update that I'm planning to push today to the App Store. This will remove all ads in the app and also bring a more cohesive look between website and the app. With approval times, I'd say no more than a week max to get this out, if all goes as planned.

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Oh and the update is as always free. You can support iCafe by coming here, contributing and telling friends. (y)

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I haven't seen any pop up ads. Just the ad at the bottom that's easily hidden.

6. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Glad I still have the old .ipa to plug back in and sync if necessary. One thing I can't stand is ads in my apps. And lumps in my Cream of Wheat. :D

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

And tribbles in my quadrotriticale.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Agreed. I hate ads and always opt for the pro versions of apps when available. The only app I can't find that doesn't have a good ad-free version is a movie listings app. I'm using Flixter and it drives me nuts every time I open it. I guess they generate more money from the ads than they would from offering a pro version.

9. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I love and rely on Flixter, but man do they go nuts with their ads.

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I try to avoid the ad crazy apps as well. Some that only have a single 640x100 ad that's not intrusive, I can deal with. The free version of Echofon got bad with ads. So I got Tweetbot while it was on special.

11. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I had to look that up. Very interesting, and annoying I can imagine. :)

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Tribbles feasting on Quadrotriticale wallpaper. It may be worse than app ads.
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1388496940.284610.jpg

13. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

Oh nice... good to know! Great work on the app by the way!

14. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

Nothing is worse than apps that have free and paid versions. Paid versions getting rid of the ads. With every update, they seem to make the ads more and more intrusive, "convincing" more people to pay to get rid of them. /vent

15. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

I have to side with a few others. I know ads are needed to help pay for the running of the site. But, I can't stand them and would quite easily pay for not having them.

I even gave up my GMail email to get rid of adds (Google Apps now), they are just annoying.

16. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Once the update is approved, the ads will be gone.

17. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

what's wrong with that? Devs have to make money somehow. I personally prefer it this way so I can try out the app before dropping money on it.

18. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

I get that they have to make money, but my point is, don't keep making the ads more and more intrusive specifically for that reason to where the free version is practically unusable.

19. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I agree for the most part. WWF (and other apps by the same company) is an extreme example where even paid apps are proliferated with ads for other apps by the same developer. I know it's not the same as more traditional ads appearing in free apps, but it reminds me of the new status quo of not being able to watch a YouTube video without sitting through a 15-30 second ad. Even paid apps make you partake of their spiel and there's no way around it.

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

YouTube is like Facebook in that it's quickly turning to crap. I hate what Google has done to it. Hopefully, it won't be too much longer before it gets replaced by something better. I'm tired of the BS errors about how the uploader disabled mobile playback, forced ads, copyright issues and terrible design.