POP3. "Delete from server" option

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Anyone seen this under the "Advanced" options for any POP3 account?
Specifically Gmail, in this case...?

The option makes the mail client in the iPhone delete messages server-side when deleted from the inbox on the phone.

My question is, is anyone else using this option, and have you noticed that it seems to be kinda random? Sometimes it will delete them from the server, sometimes not....?

gadgeTT

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Austin, TX
www.twikiland.org
Anyone seen this under the "Advanced" options for any POP3 account?
Specifically Gmail, in this case...?

The option makes the mail client in the iPhone delete messages server-side when deleted from the inbox on the phone.

My question is, is anyone else using this option, and have you noticed that it seems to be kinda random? Sometimes it will delete them from the server, sometimes not....?
Not only that, but I've noticed that the setting keeps reverting back to "don't delete."

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
yeah, it's kinda random. I don't really mind too much, as my Gmail account only gets about 3 mails per day, tops. Love those Gmail filters. They are STRONG. lol

It works out well for me, because my office blocks any and all pop3 mail related sites, including Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, etc.

So, I can not only be notified that I have email, but I can get it straight to my phone, now. ;)

prolix21

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
gmail is far from a normal pop3 service. i don't think this option really works at all. in reality, what you have to do is go into gmail itself under settings> forwarding and pop and pick the behavior you want (when a pop client checks the mailbox). it should work fine that way, but depending on the pop client to manage your gmail inbox really doesn't work. settings like that make some basic calls that most standards based smtp/pop services respect, but gmail is such a custom oddball that most stuff like that doesn't work. i have the same issue with mail.app on my mbp

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
gmail is far from a normal pop3 service. i don't think this option really works at all. in reality, what you have to do is go into gmail itself under settings> forwarding and pop and pick the behavior you want (when a pop client checks the mailbox). it should work fine that way, but depending on the pop client to manage your gmail inbox really doesn't work. settings like that make some basic calls that most standards based smtp/pop services respect, but gmail is such a custom oddball that most stuff like that doesn't work. i have the same issue with mail.app on my mbp
I wouldn't say it doesn't work "at all"....it does work, just "sometimes", instead of "all the time". lol

dongtea

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
I don't get it. My best guess is that since my mail accounts originated via a sync with my Mac, even though I now have the mail sync turned off, somehow it's trying to revert back to these settings each time.

dongtea

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
I've tried rebuilding my mailboxes, and I still can't get this to stick. So now my mailboxes have 500-600 pieces of mail in them, and since I run these on a Mac (no IMAP) my phone has to download the whole index each time it checks the mail, which takes forever. Royal pain.