Porting # from AT&T to Verizon question

1. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Hello all,
    My iPhone 5 came in yesterday(a week early!) and I am having some issues getting it set up right. Here is the story:
    They couldn't get my ATT numbers to port last night when i picked my wife and I's 5's up. The employee was on the phone with tech support and it turned out that the phones shipped earlier than the "dummy #'s" would be active. They told me at 12:01am they would be active and I could port my numbers over then. Well....12:01 came..and still no luck..the phones were not activated on the dummy lines yet. I called this morning and they got the dummy lines to activate and I ported my numbers over. Got the text from verizon saying "welcome to verizon"... This was at 11am this morning. I can use LTE data but cannot call or get texts. So I contacted verizon a couple times and they tell me it can take up to 24hrs for the numbers to totally port. So should i expect my phone to be usuable tomorrow around 11am?

Thanks for your input!

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've heard it sometimes takes longer than 24 hours. Good luck with the ports going through soon. Mine went through immediately, and that was on a launch day. But that was in 2008 and it was a Sprint -> AT&T number port.

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Can take up to two weeks. Official answer. Most (90%) are within 24 hours.

5. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the replies. Last night after midnight I got a text my bro sent so I think I'm good to go now.

6. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Jeez...at AT&T it was almost immediately for my wife's port from Sprint.

7. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

It's a long story but the new phones shipped a day early and the dummy lines weren't activated yet and the store could not activate them. Then the next day they still weren't activated. Had to call Verizon and they activated the dummy lines and I had to call as do the port myself. Not sure if doing it myself made a difference in how long it took. I do know one thing. With all the hassle I got Verizon to waive the 30 per phone activation fees. So a PIA turned out for the good in the long run...

8. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

AT&T > Verizon? :confused:

9. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Not when I'm enjoying LTE speeds in my area on Verizon and who knows how long it will be til AT&T gets it here... Only reason I switched

10. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Just got LTE in my area on AT&T. Pretty sweet. If AT&T is planning LTE in your area not sure switching was a great Idea. Oh we'll.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

11. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Well I don't know if they are or not. But I wasn't buying a LTE capable phone on a non capable network in my area. Whether it happens in a month or a yr.. Wasn't worth hoping AT&T would upgrade to LTE in my area... I can always go back in 2 yrs if I have problems with Verizon.. No probs so far