Porting from Verizon

Dec 14, 2007
My wife wants to get me an iPhone for Christmas. Though I am blown away by all its features and capabilities, there are two issues I'm unsure about. I'm especially interested in hearing from Verizon subscribers who ported over to AT&T.

1. Call Quality. I will be using the iPhone primarily for its phone feature. How is the call quality overall? I've had a Razr V3M with Verizon and have had no issues whatsoever with dropped calls, static, clarity, etc. I am a bit hesitant after reading some reviews about what to expect.

2. AT&T Coverage. I've had little experience with AT&T but know that they don't always get high marks. Is there coverage on par with Verizon's?

3. For former Verizon subscribers. I would be porting my number over and paying an ETF. In your experience, has the expense been worth it?

Thanks for everybody's input!

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
I ported over from Verizon, using a RAZR, and paid the ETF...

1. Call quality in my area is great and I get about the same amount of dropped calls - maybe one or two a month.

2. AT&T coverage is great in my area too. I haven't run into to any problems related to not having coverage now where I had it with Verizon.

3. Sure, it sucked to swallow that $175 ETF, but I couldn't be happier :D

Of course, the coverage and call quality all come down to where you live. In an area like San Francisco, this is hardly of concern. If you have any friends in your area with AT&T, definitely talk to them about their experiences.

Jul 23, 2007
Just ported from Verizon yesterday. Took about 1/2 hour for two lines. All is well. However I feel that call quality is better with V. YMMV

Apr 9, 2007
I did about a month after release and kept both . Side by side the ATT service was very close both here in NYC and at my NC home. After my Verizon contract expired I ported my number and have been extremely happy ever since. My only issue is deep inside my house I sometimes have poor reception but the overall experience more than makes up for it.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Ported from VZW and I wish I never did. I like the iPhone, and it's good enough to keep me w/ATT... for now. But come the end of contract, I may go w/someone else... I get SOOOOO many dropped calls.

Good note: I called today and complained about my wife's phone dropping so many calls. They are sending her a new phone, expedited at no cost to us. The new phone is supposed to get a better signal, so we'll see about that.

Call quality: Same
Signal Strength: VZW
The Cool Factor of the iPhone: ATT

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
what verizon phone did you have that your saying you have a better antenna now with then it

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
It really depends on where you live.

I know in NJ Verizon is slightly better then AT&T in terms of dropped calls, but it used to be ALOT better and now the gap is pretty close.

I do know when I travel I would get better coverage then my Verizon counterparts in Florida, New Orleans, Dallas and a few other places.

But I think just like Verizon it really depends on where you live, in NJ they have a nice strong hold so they perform particularly well, but when I am in NYC there is no decernable difference.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
what verizon phone did you have that your saying you have a better antenna now with then it
i'm sorry, but what?

To OJ - My wife's phone is a Samsung A727, and she had 2 Syncs before that. Evidently these phones aren't GSM, they are UMPS (that's what the tech said) and UMPS is new, and isn't prevelant where I live (OC, Ca). The phone she's getting now (Sony w580i) is GSM based, and should get a better signal.

With Verizon, I had a Moto Q, and Treo 700w (more phone before those 2, but I used these in the same market where I use my iPhone). My wife had a RAZR and we never dropped calls.

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
i never have dropped calls with this iPhone... yes i couldnt understand what i had wrote either previously

iphonecrazyy

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
Don't do it! Just my opinion, but Verizon uses stronger signals that can go through buildings better. They also have a much more stable network, ATT is spotty. I'm in SoCal and it's horrible to the point where I can barely use it. I'm going back to verizon very soon and paying the ETF

Fafafoooey

Bronze
Apr 26, 2007
My wife wants to get me an iPhone for Christmas. Though I am blown away by all its features and capabilities, there are two issues I'm unsure about. I'm especially interested in hearing from Verizon subscribers who ported over to AT&T.

1. Call Quality. I will be using the iPhone primarily for its phone feature. How is the call quality overall? I've had a Razr V3M with Verizon and have had no issues whatsoever with dropped calls, static, clarity, etc. I am a bit hesitant after reading some reviews about what to expect.

2. AT&T Coverage. I've had little experience with AT&T but know that they don't always get high marks. Is there coverage on par with Verizon's?

3. For former Verizon subscribers. I would be porting my number over and paying an ETF. In your experience, has the expense been worth it?

Thanks for everybody's input!
-Call quality is fine. No better or worse than VZW.

-Coverage is better in some places and worse in others. This just depends. I would say that AT&T and VZW have the same coverage. Obviously some locales will have AT&T signal and no VZW, and vice versa.

-ETF is $175 with VZW. Find out if they are prorating that fee based on how much time you have left on that contract. AT&T does prorate.

-PS: EDGE data is very mixed. Definitely slower than EVDO. Be careful if you work in an area or building that has repeaters to boost the voice signals, because these repeaters negatively affect EDGE. I have this problem at my job. Before the repeaters, AT&T users had no signal, even for voice calls. Now with the repeaters, the voice signal is 100%, but the EDGE data is either non-existent or VERY slow. Not a huge concern since I have internet access at work.

Just a note, that I am very happy with the iPhone despite the slower data, since WIFI is handy, and the iPhone is hugely more stable than any smartphone that VZW offers. I had the 700W, what a POS. I had the 700P, what another POS, even after their firmware update. 1 in a year+. Apple has released 4 firmware updates since release, which is about 6 months now. This thing just works, no random resets, no crashes, and no constant resets.
People will say that the iPhone cannot have 3rd party apps installed, but the SDK will release in 2 months or so. There are developers already getting their apps ready for the SDK.

mjsteve2

Jun 12, 2007
I stay in Atlanta, and I have had no problems with the iPhone as of yet. Everywhere I go there is always some sort of wifi support. So I guess it depends on where you go and where you live. But im happy that I left verizon. And my ETF was reduced too, I only paid $45 ETF. So that was good. You have to be in your contract for atleast a year to get a reduced ETF. I haven't had any dropped calls yet. The only problem I have with AT&T is their sh*tty customer service. But besides that, you need to switch over. This phone is wonderful when it is in its basic form. But if you mod it, then its the most amazing device ever. Plus Verizon & AT&T are about to use LTE anyway, so it really isn't going to matter who you have for a service provider. They already have the same calling plan prices. So make that switch like the rest of us already did.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I'm a bit nervous about switching from Verizon. I've always had good service and their customer service has always been excellent. My biggest gripes with them for the last few years has been the UI that is forced upon you not matter what phone you get (not including the smart phones, though) and they always seem to be a bit behind the other companies with their cell phones.

So iPhone and AT&T here I come. As long as my calls are clear I'll be happy.

Dec 14, 2007
did we all get suckered by a troll?
No, my intentions were to seek out some firsthand information about call quality and AT&T's coverage so I could make a decision. It looks like many of my fears have been put to rest. Thanks for the information, and I look forward to unwrapping my iPhone on Christmas morning!

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
I think that AT&T has great voice quality and a great coverage in my area I'm also very happy with their service.