Porting number after 14 day trial

tjpyles

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
I know that this is probably a question for AT&T, but my faith that they are fully educated on what is about to happen is not high. Anyway, I have been with Verizon for quite some time now. I have never been through the whole number porting process and do not know exactly what has to be done.

My current plan is to buy a new iPhone on the 29th with a new AT&T contract and number. I don't want to port my current number immediately and close my Verizon contract in case I find that I have made a mistake (phone has typical first gen issues). Does anyone have an idea or experience as to whether it will be possible to port my old number after the 14 day trial period? It would mean that AT&T would have to cancel the original number they associate with my phone at purchase and then port over my number after the fact.

Anyone ever done anything like this? Is it possible?

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I have never heard anything like that. You should call up an att rep.

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I don't think it is possible, but you need to call AT&T to be sure. I ported numbers over from Sprint about 3 years ago and it was extremely smooth.

iJohn

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Long Island, NY
johnburke.tumblr.com
I think you might have issues as the number is part of your contract. If you were to ask to change it over, I'm sure it would require a lot more than just an OK from the ATT people. I would imagine it would be a little more complicated.

I did a quick google search about it, and it looks like it actually is possible. The BIG thing is you cannot cancel your verizon plan when you get the new AT&T plan, you need to wait until after or right as you are porting the number.

Customers should pick the carrier first. Take advantage of trial periods -- they could last 14 to 30 days -- which some carriers offer. See if the service works well where you live or work. Do you like the phone?

It's important that customers not cancel their old service until they sign up with the new carrier and complete the switch or porting process. If you cancel service first, you may lose the ability to transfer the number.

When you contact the carrier to which you want to switch, have a recent phone bill available with all your necessary information in front of you. The carrier will need all your old account information to transfer numbers.

If any information is incorrect on the application, such as writing your name as "William Smith" when it is listed as "Bill Smith," the transfer could be delayed.

Once a porting request has been made, the old carrier cannot refuse to port a number. Customers who find companies unwilling to transfer their phone numbers should complan to the FCC. You can call 1-888-CALL-FCC.

tjpyles

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
I think you might have issues as the number is part of your contract. If you were to ask to change it over, I'm sure it would require a lot more than just an OK from the ATT people. I would imagine it would be a little more complicated.

I did a quick google search about it, and it looks like it actually is possible. The BIG thing is you cannot cancel your verizon plan when you get the new AT&T plan, you need to wait until after or right as you are porting the number.

Customers should pick the carrier first. Take advantage of trial periods -- they could last 14 to 30 days -- which some carriers offer. See if the service works well where you live or work. Do you like the phone?

It's important that customers not cancel their old service until they sign up with the new carrier and complete the switch or porting process. If you cancel service first, you may lose the ability to transfer the number.

When you contact the carrier to which you want to switch, have a recent phone bill available with all your necessary information in front of you. The carrier will need all your old account information to transfer numbers.

If any information is incorrect on the application, such as writing your name as "William Smith" when it is listed as "Bill Smith," the transfer could be delayed.

Once a porting request has been made, the old carrier cannot refuse to port a number. Customers who find companies unwilling to transfer their phone numbers should complan to the FCC. You can call 1-888-CALL-FCC.

Great find iJohn. I appreciate it. I should have thought of Google as a solution, since my question is not really iPhone specific. It seems like this would be an important fact for anyone switching from another carrier to keep in mind. I hope we don't need to go back, but you never know and better keep your bases covered.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
I don't think what you are asking is possible. I know you can port your old number over when you sign up for a new contract before you cancel your old service. I think when you cancel your old number before signing a new contract and porting that number over you loose the ability to use your old number.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Well when you sign up with att explain the situation to them.