Porting Question. Will this work?

MNJON

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Minnesota
Can I buy the iPhone, get a new number from AT&T and then in a couple weeks, port my old number to the phone and stop using the new number? Will they do that for me or am I better off porting it right away?

Thanks!

mad_vtak

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
Just get the iPhone, wait a couple weeks and then port the number over when you activate it.

phop5

Bronze
Nov 23, 2007
Can I buy the iPhone, get a new number from AT&T and then in a couple weeks, port my old number to the phone and stop using the new number? Will they do that for me or am I better off porting it right away?

Thanks!
port it when you can, i did the exact same thing.....my sprint contract had three weeks until expiration.

ndmx52

Dec 29, 2007

Thanks!

Thats what I did with mine.

Actually, I went to AT&T and signed up for a basic plan and got a free phone (backup phone) then the next day activated my iPhone and added the data plan, using my temp AT&T number. A few days later, when my Nextel contract was up, I went back to AT&T and ported my existing number over.