Porting Your Number

Empererred

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
I currently have Sprint and I am still in contract. However, I do plan on buying the new iPhone 3G and paying the cancellation fees. Do any of you guys know if AT&T will still be able to port my number from Sprint while I am still in contract?

-Thanks!

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Not sure of the details, but it can be done. Check with ATT first. You may have to port before you cancel.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I think you'll have to port your number while you still got your contract because once you cancel your Sprint service, doesn't the number go with it too?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I think you'll have to port your number while you still got your contract because once you cancel your Sprint service, doesn't the number go with it too?
That is what I am thinking. Almost positive this is the way it will have to roll. Otherwise as you say, the number will go bye bye if you cancel first.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Yes, always port before canceling. I learned that the hard way.

- John

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
That is actually how you cancel with Sprint is by porting your number. You port to At&t and then as soon as Sprint notices the number has been ported they will send you a bill. Remember, though that if you want to avoid the ETF just find someone who wants Sprint and have them reactivate your account with a different number and then Sprint will refund your ETF.