Portrait haters unite

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I realize many will be against this thread, and that's fine. But I guess I am different than many.

I just want to publicly state that I absolutely hate portrait. It drives me nuts. Sure, the first time I saw how you could turn your iPhone sideways and it would just know it and change the orientation, I thought "WOW! SWEET!" and I played with it many times in awe. But after having the iPhone since June 2007 - and I think many will agree - you start the learn that portrait is pretty much pointless. Sure, when you're walking around or sitting straight up, it's a fine option to have. But the problem comes when you lie down.

etc.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I think you meant to say landscape. I hate landscape and I never use it. I use rotation inhibitor to keep it in portrait mode at all times.

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Europa the OP actually means portrait. This thread is in opposition to an identically named landscape thread. I prefer portrait and use rotation inhibitor as well.

I do use a stand at work because I love landscape for email and web surfing. And of course for video. The problem for me is with Olive Tree. I'll be walking around teaching a class and my hand position changes so I look at my screen and it's rotated! But now I can lock it!

The ultimate solution would be a button that forces screen rotation for every program like the TX has. That would be cool! It's not a 3rd party thing because some of them work and for some reason the stock calendar doesn't!

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
I think the reason why all the fuss over wanting a lock is because when lying in bed using the iPhone, your arms get tired pretty fast, specifically the elbow area starts to hurt because of the angle of holding an object above you, but on your side there is less pressure on the arms... feels better. Some solutions, buy a craftmatic adjustable bed, or prop up with pillows, or, maybe a developer can create an app that makes the iPhone completely controlled by your voice, then someone can straddle you and hold your iPhone in front of your face all night. Problem solved
:eek:k:eek:k

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Europa the OP actually means portrait. This thread is in opposition to an identically named landscape thread. I prefer portrait and use rotation inhibitor as well.

I do use a stand at work because I love landscape for email and web surfing. And of course for video. The problem for me is with Olive Tree. I'll be walking around teaching a class and my hand position changes so I look at my screen and it's rotated! But now I can lock it!

The ultimate solution would be a button that forces screen rotation for every program like the TX has. That would be cool! It's not a 3rd party thing because some of them work and for some reason the stock calendar doesn't!
I have read his paragraph several times, and it just doesn't make any sense to me. I mean, portrait mode is the default mode. Most apps will only work in portrait mode, like facebook, AIM, even the phone app, etc. He says it's pointless. How can the default mode be pointless? I just can't see how someone can use landscape mode all the time. It's not practical and it's not possible. The SB shows the icons in portrait mode, you can't change that unless you jailbreak.

Now if you replace the word portrait with landscape, his paragraph makes sense.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I have read his paragraph several times, and it just doesn't make any sense to me. I mean, portrait mode is the default mode. Most apps will only work in portrait mode, like facebook, AIM, even the phone app, etc. He says it's pointless. How can the default mode be pointless? I just can't see how someone can use landscape mode all the time. It's not practical and it's not possible. The SB shows the icons in portrait mode, you can't change that unless you jailbreak.

Now if you replace the word portrait with landscape, his paragraph makes sense.
He didn't change the sentences around at all. He replaced "landscape" with "portrait" and essentially disregarded the sentence meaning. Here is the exact post from wildonrio's thread titled "Landscape haters unite":

wildonrio said:
I realize many will be against this thread, and that's fine. But I guess I am different than many.

I just want to publicly state that I absolutely hate landscape. It drives me nuts. Sure, the first time I saw how you could turn your iPhone sideways and it would just know it and change the orientation, I thought "WOW! SWEET!" and I played with it many times in awe. But after having the iPhone since June 2007 - and I think many will agree - you start the learn that landscape is pretty much pointless. Sure, when you're walking around or sitting straight up, it's a fine option to have. But the problem comes when you lie down.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Yep, it's obvious what his point was: if you're going to dis landscape mode, as Wildonrio did, the OP was a little friendly payback from a landscape liker. Wildonrio called landscape mode pointless (huh?) so he wrote that portait mode is pointless.

--
Mike

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
He didn't change the sentences around at all. He replaced "landscape" with "portrait" and essentially disregarded the sentence meaning. Here is the exact post from wildonrio's thread titled "Landscape haters unite":
No wonder it didn't make any damn sense...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yep, it's obvious what his point was: if you're going to dis landscape mode, as Wildonrio did, the OP was a little friendly payback from a landscape liker. Wildonrio called landscape mode pointless (huh?) so he wrote that portait mode is pointless.

--
Mike
While I won't say landscape mode is pointless, you must admit we could live without it, and it comes with its problems. We can't live without portrait mode because most apps don't work in landscape mode.

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
While I won't say landscape mode is pointless, you must admit we could live without it, and it comes with its problems. We can't live without portrait mode because most apps don't work in landscape mode.
I can't live without it. I actually would prefer that absolutely everything on the iPhone was defaulted to landscape, phone app and all.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I will absolutely not agree that we could live without it. I probably wouldn't have an iPhone if it were strictly a portrait-only device. Why can't some of you understand that many of us like to use landscape mode? If you don't use it or like it, fine. But please don't apply your likes or dislikes to everyone else.

Heck many good games are landscape mode only (Baseball Sluggers for one). I still play them if lieing down.

--
Mike

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Oh my hell. I'm not saying I can't see why people like it. I certainly can see why they like it. What I meant is that the iPhone SB is set up for portrait mode and almost every app works in portrait mode so we could do without it if we had to.

Seriously giving up on this thread now...

Would you also like to hold the phone up to your ear in a sideways position? Apple could probably move the speaker and mic. ;)

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
It's post like these that make me wish there was a No Thanks button.

--
Mike
Its threads like this that make me not want to visit so much... ;)

Seriously though, there was no point in this thread whatsoever, apart from wanting to emphasise his point of liking the accelerometer. That could have been said in the thread that was started earlier, and not a new thread.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Its threads like this that make me not want to visit so much... ;)
Are you incapable of simply ignoring threads that don't interest you? Someone have a gun to your head?

--
Mike

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Oh my hell. I'm not saying I can't see why people like it. I certainly can see why they like it. What I meant is that the iPhone SB is set up for portrait mode and almost every app works in portrait mode so we could do without it if we had to.
If we had to is irrelevant, since it would not be an iPhone without it. It's not like this feature was just added--it's been here since day-one.

--
Mike