Possible for 3rd party Cydia App's to carry virus or bugs?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
it is definitely possible to have viruses, though. so far we have been lucky in that it has been easy to tell a legitimate app from a bad one. You get to know the big-name develpoers pretty quickly. If you have a doubt about a particular application, search the forum and learn from others' (potential) mistakes.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
it is definitely possible to have viruses, though. so far we have been lucky in that it has been easy to tell a legitimate app from a bad one. You get to know the big-name develpoers pretty quickly. If you have a doubt about a particular application, search the forum and learn from others' (potential) mistakes.

Good advice. I think the biggest threats for the iPhone in the near future will probably be malware that attacks via the browser, since there's such massive coverage of how much the mobile browser gets used, and iPhone's browser market share etc ...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
seems to me this might actually open the floodgates to viruses on the Mac platform... but i may be off-base with that logic. it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.