Possible new iMac owner. Questions inside

Trevowski

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Oklahoma
www.splatterpb.com
First off I would like to say that my year with my iPhone, and my frequenting of these forums hav definitely convinced me to pick up a mac.

After quiet a bit of saving I have finally accumulated some funds to pick one up, but I do have some questions before I make the jump.

My main purpose for the computer will be mainly e-mail, internet surfing, managing music, pictures, and video. This time next year I will be atteneding school for Graphic Design.

I plan to get the 24" iMac with the 2.86 MHz Processor.
I know this model has been out for some time now, so my question is, Is now a good time to purchase an iMac? I don't want to pick one up and three weeks later be obsolite (sp?).

If you think now is a good time to pick one up, what other upgrades are good to snag while I'm purchasing?

Thank You in advance EIC!

PS. I am stuck on the iMac. I had some people trying to talk me into a laptop, but I just received a new Dell Laptop last christmas. The ole desktop took a dive as well so I'm definitely looking at the iMac

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
supposedly there are giving the mac line an update on the 14th. So I would wait and see what they change and if the changes are not significant then you could get a deal on the "older" iMac. I also want an iMac.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
First off I would like to say that my year with my iPhone, and my frequenting of these forums hav definitely convinced me to pick up a mac.

After quiet a bit of saving I have finally accumulated some funds to pick one up, but I do have some questions before I make the jump.

My main purpose for the computer will be mainly e-mail, internet surfing, managing music, pictures, and video. This time next year I will be atteneding school for Graphic Design.

I know this model has been out for some time now, so my question is, Is now a good time to purchase an iMac? I don't want to pick one up and three weeks later be obsolite (sp?).

If you think now is a good time to pick one up, what other upgrades are good to snag while I'm purchasing?

PS. I am stuck on the iMac. I had some people trying to talk me into a laptop, but I just received a new Dell Laptop last christmas. The ole desktop took a dive as well so I'm definitely looking at the iMac
I got an iMac this past Christmas---dude, get one! It's now my main computer, and my pc is my baby that I built myself, so get your iMac.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I just got a new iMac over the summer....a week after the iPhone. I upgraded from an old mac mini. I love the imac. You wont be sorry! :)

I think the upgrades on the 14th are just geared to the macbook line, but I could be mistaken on that. Those are just the rumors I have heard.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007

Well, technology will always update soon after you purchase something. I wouldn't worry about it--if you want one, go get one. On Tuesday, Apple will reveal new notebooks, but there's been no speculation of a desktop update. So just get it. If you wait wait wait for the latest, you'll be waiting forever. I have the 2GHz aluminum iMac with Intel Core 2 Duo and it's awesome...plenty of power for what I do--which is pretty much what you're doing.