Possible new iPhone user, Long Island, NY

Sep 1, 2007
Hey all. Got a few questions. I am currently on Verizon and looking to switch over to ATT and pick up the iPhone. I owned the original one and had excellent service on Long Island and NYC. I have heard about the 3g problems in this area even tho it is fully covered on ATT's site. Can any of you's give me some input on if these problems are resolved and your overall experience with it. I would be paying an ETF with Verizon so I would like to know before hand. Thanks

-Pete

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
I am finding that the reception is OK for me. It has been the same as I experienced with Sprint and VZW before here on LI. Each seems to have their dead spots, but all are pretty good.

3G probs seem better lately.

Overall, very happy. I think there are others on the board who might disagree?

Devori

Jun 15, 2007
Long island NY
I have had AT&T for awhile.. got the first iPhone.. and then the 3g. I live in patchogue, work in jamesport, and hang out in between. Never had a problem with the 3g, for reception, voice or data. i had more of a problem with the first gen, as jameport did not have good coverage. Im having a simalar problem, as im changing jobs further east in southhold, AT&T wont work to well out there, so i picked up a verizon line for emergencys. You shouldnt have an issue anywhere on Long Island.. the network is pretty solid.

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
Since the 2.1 update (that your new phone will probably need to be upgraded to) I have had great 3g service all over the Island

Jul 14, 2008
Before and after the 2.1 update, great GSM/Edge service almost everywhere, 3G I still find varies a bit, but nowhere near the pre-2.1 complaints you'll see on this forum. Overall, this is the best phone I've had on ATT&T (and Cingular) in the past 5 or 6 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I haven't had any "Call Failed" issues since the update. Overall, the service is good. It won't be on par with Verizon, but all in all it's pretty good.