Possible to block Personal Hotspot?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Caliphone, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Caliphone

Caliphone Member
    Bronze

Not sure which area to ask this question.
    With AT&T, Mobile Data Share plans, is there any way to disable a child's ability to use "Personal Hotspot" on an iPhone 5? (5 gig in one night at a cousin's house....)
    AT&T says it comes with Mobile Share so they can't disable it. Not real pleased with that answer, they were sure able to disable it when I had unlimited data.....
    I can't find a parental control block under iOS restrictions either.
    Am I missing it or is it just not possible?

Thanks!

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

There is no way to restrict or disable Personal Hotspot on the iPhone 5 as far as I know. Some carriers may do it. Some not. Is this the child's phone? How old is the child? You might could use the Guided Access feature in Accessibility. It will lock the child to one app. A game perhaps.

3. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

What you CAN do is block their data. Within the AT&T App, you can simply shut off their ability to use data at anytime.

4. Caliphone

Caliphone Member
    Bronze

Thanks, I know how to turn off the data altogether, that is the current threat .
    I don't mind supplying MY kid with data, I just don't want to be the YouTube/Netflix hub for all his friends' iPods or tablets when no wifi is available. He knows better now, but it would be nice to cut the feature all together so there's no temptation.
    Seems it would be easy enough for AT&T to do, but it would result in less data sales for them.

Thanks again for the responses.