Possible to set ringtone

ROCKER069

Dec 30, 2007
Pampa Texas
Is is possible to set a ringtone as an incoming text message sound? thx for any info

Get_Zwole

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Oklahoma City
yeah im sure it is but you probably have to have a jailbroken phone and access it through ssh not 100% though so hopefully you get more responses.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
That's correct. You must jailbreak your iPhone. See the Modifications forum for more details on that.

Once you're jailbroken, and have OpenSSH installed, SSH into the phone and navigate to System/Library/Audio/UISound. You can replace sms-received1.caf - sms-received6.caf with custom notification sounds.

You can use iTunes to convert segments of songs to use as notifications. Just convert them to AIFF, and then rename the file to sms-received1.caf.

If you need more detailed instructions, search the forums as this has been addressed many times.

damstr

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
There are a couple things that make me wonder about Apple; not being able to change the alerts to a custom tone is one of them.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
There are a couple things that make me wonder about Apple; not being able to change the alerts to a custom tone is one of them.
Yeah, I hear ya, but I think Apple wants the experience you have on the Mac. The mail sounds are exactly the same on the iPhone as they are on a Mac.

Joe