possible to stay with 2G contract with 3G phone?

todesto

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Hi, all. :)
Quick question here.
My "Rich" friend who spilled a coffee (I mean a lot of coffee) over her 3G iPhone had to get a replacement at her cost....:(
So she gave me the phone to see if I can fix it and use it :p. I sent to a repair center to get it fixed and if they are able to fix it, I want to try using it.

My question is, can I just slip my 2G iPhone SIM card in there and just activate it (I am with AT&T) without signing up 3G plan? I don't need 3G data and I am fine with whatever I got right now.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Nope. As soon as you slip a different sim card in the phone it will want to be activated through iTunes again. When you do that, it won't give you the opportunity for the original data plans.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I took a friends SIM card and stuck it in my 3G iPhone, it worked without any issues. If the 3G is already activated, then other SIMS will work. Have no idea on the data charges though.

If the OP wants to use his SIM in the 3G phone, jailbreak it and it will also activate the phone. You can then stick your SIM in and it will work on the 3G. But like I said, I don't know how the data charges will work?

Nope. As soon as you slip a different sim card in the phone it will want to be activated through iTunes again. When you do that, it won't give you the opportunity for the original data plans.