Possible to use GPS when I won't have any data access?

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
I'm going to Europe on sept. 20th and I'm hoping that by then I will be able to unlock my 3G and use a local sim card in it.

But even if I am able to by then I'm not expecting to pay for a data plan so I will have data use disabled.

However, being able to use GPS to help me find my way around would be amazing, but I know without data google maps can't load so GPS won't work.

Are there, or is there upcoming, any solutions to this? (Some time of map storage on the phone system or something maybe?)

ldivinag

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
N37 33* W122 3*
i thought i saw some beta screens of an actual GPS app.

see if the apps store has it now...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
For some reason I thought the GPS was reliant on the data antennae for "assistance".... perhaps they just make it more accurate and it would work without. I don't have a 3G, but I seem to remember when using a friend's, that the GPS no longer functioned when I turned of 3G. Can anyone confirm this, or was I just experience a weird coincidence?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
For some reason I thought the GPS was reliant on the data antennae for "assistance".... perhaps they just make it more accurate and it would work without. I don't have a 3G, but I seem to remember when using a friend's, that the GPS no longer functioned when I turned of 3G. Can anyone confirm this, or was I just experience a weird coincidence?
It must have been a weird coincidence.

A few days ago when I took the SIM card out of my iPhone and put it in my BlackBerry so I could use it that day, the iPhones GPS still located me, but there was no map. Just the little squares.

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
It must have been a weird coincidence.

A few days ago when I took the SIM card out of my iPhone and put it in my BlackBerry so I could use it that day, the iPhones GPS still located me, but there was no map. Just the little squares.

right...that is because GPS doens't require data (finding your location) but google maps DOES require data to download the map.

So if you had an app that had the maps you needed saved on the phone then you could use GPS without data.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I'm going to Europe on sept. 20th and I'm hoping that by then I will be able to unlock my 3G and use a local sim card in it.

But even if I am able to by then I'm not expecting to pay for a data plan so I will have data use disabled.

However, being able to use GPS to help me find my way around would be amazing, but I know without data google maps can't load so GPS won't work.

Are there, or is there upcoming, any solutions to this? (Some time of map storage on the phone system or something maybe?)
Sorry, didn't read through the whole post. :p

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I remember back in the day in Installer they offered a hack that would download all the map data straight to your phone's storage so you wouldn't have to rely on the Internet to load it. If I remember correctly it took up 2gb, which isn't too big of a deal if you have a 16gb phone. I don't know if this hack is available with Cydia nowadays (I personally have not jailbroken my 3G yet, and am wondering if I ever will).