Possible trick to get V1 data plan with 3G

ebp2kEM1

Bronze
Oct 14, 2007
I haven't seen this idea brought up yet, so I thought I would throw it out there.

So let's say you go buy the 3G, new 2-year contract, but-rape data plan and all. Then, a month later, you decide to use your 3G as a paper weight and you get your hands on an iPhone V1.

In theory, you could walk into ATT with your V1 in hand, your SIM inside, and tell them any number of things as to why you don't have your 3G. For example "I lost it" or "It broke".

Common sense would say they should change your data plan to the V1 plan, since you will not be able to enjoy the 3G network.

Assuming that works, what if you went home and "found" you 3G. If you stick your SIM card into that - would you then have 3G access at the V1 price?

WIll ATT police this somehow? Will they change your plan or call you up?

My only thought for why this might not work, is that starting July 11th - ATT might consider the V1 data plan to be "Grandfathered" only. Meaning, you keep it if you had it before, but no matter what version of iPhone you have post 11th, you must use the 3G data plan.

Discuss. :cool:

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
I haven't seen this idea brought up yet, so I thought I would throw it out there.

So let's say you go buy the 3G, new 2-year contract, but-rape data plan and all. Then, a month later, you decide to use your 3G as a paper weight and you get your hands on an iPhone V1.

In theory, you could walk into ATT with your V1 in hand, your SIM inside, and tell them any number of things as to why you don't have your 3G. For example "I lost it" or "It broke".

Common sense would say they should change your data plan to the V1 plan, since you will not be able to enjoy the 3G network.

Assuming that works, what if you went home and "found" you 3G. If you stick your SIM card into that - would you then have 3G access at the V1 price?

My only thought for why this might not work, is that starting July 11th - ATT might consider the V1 data plan to be "Grandfathered" only. Meaning, you keep it if you had it before, but no matter what version of iPhone you have post 11th, you must use the 3G data plan.

i assume it will be grandfathered.

OR

perhaps without the 3G rate plan, u just wouldn't be able to connect to the 3G network. maybe you could use the v1 plan with the 3g phone, but you could only access EDGE and wifi.

edit: on second thought, im almost positive it will be grandfathered, because you won't even be able to buy a v1 iPhone anymore, so why would they keep that plan around?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL

The problem with that is that the "new" rate plan is simply the mormal PDA rate plan through AT&T. No more deals for iPhone owners.
If you signed up for a 2 year deal with AT&T For the 3G phone, and you suddenly show up with a V1 phone wanting to change to a V1 plan, most likely, you will get the "too bad, so sad, but it's not going to change" speech - unless you find a sympathetic person that might fall for the "i lost my 3G phone" line.

ebp2kEM1

Bronze
Oct 14, 2007
i assume it will be grandfathered.

OR

perhaps without the 3G rate plan, u just wouldn't be able to connect to the 3G network. maybe you could use the v1 plan with the 3g phone, but you could only access EDGE and wifi.

edit: on second thought, im almost positive it will be grandfathered, because you won't even be able to buy a v1 iPhone anymore, so why would they keep that plan around?
I don't think the ATT network is sophisticated enough to limit a 3G phone to only EDGE. For almost 2 years I used PDA phones with a grandfathered MediaNet plan with unlimited data. I just bought the PDA phones out-right to keep my data plan.

So I think you're right, the grandfathering is probably most likely. However - I'll be curious to see how ATT justifies selling you the 3G data plan for V1 phone. Its presumed that the extra cost of the 3G plan, is tied to the fact that with 3G data - you get faster speeds, which encourages more use and more bandwidth. So If you don't get those two thing - then your just paying extra for nothing? I don't know, that's going to be interesting to see how they explain that. I'm guessing they'll just tell you where you can stick your iPhone if you don't like it. :cool:

I'm still curious to see what happens if you have a V1 data plan, and you switch your SIM to the 3G iPhone. That will probably be the only way, if any, to use the 3G at the V1 data price. I'm curious to see if they will police that somehow.

Edit: Thanks Hawk - I didn't know the "3G iPhone data plan" was really just the PDA plan. I was under the impression it was its own special data plan. I was thinking the true PDA plans are higher priced - but I haven't looked for a while.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
They might give you the cheaper plan, but they would definitely report that iPhone 3G as lost or stolen. On Verizon the phone would never work again, I don't know how it works with SIM cards though.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
This might just work!

For a long time I have used the regular media maxx200 plan(unl. data +200sms for $20) on smartphones/pda's simply because AT&T cannot stop me. It is a loophole in the system. It is very possible a sim activated in the gen1 iPhone will operate in gen2. Since gen 1 iPhones can always be activated via iTunes you could simply activate a gen1 through iTunes and then put the sim in your gen2. It pretty much all depends on whether the sim from an activated gen1 will work in the gen2.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
i think itll work, att has been saying that you can give your first gen iPhone to a family member and activate it via iTunes so the first gen plan will still be around. sounds like a good trick i might use that

I know this may not mean much but when I talked to one of the AT&T people I told them I'd be giving my v1 to my mom when I got the 3g and asked if she would have to get the 3g data plan and she said no... She would just need the 20 dollar v1 iPhone PLA. Since we have unlimited family txt

mythrowbacknikes

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
Hey, one quick question, people in general who buy an UNLOCKED iPhone on ebay, do they simply buy it and just slip in their old SIM CARD and put it in and and it works? And they don't have to buy the DATA PLAN, is this correct?

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't a Edge SIM melt or what have you if placed in a 3G phone? Higher data means for a beefier (is beefier a word?) SIM card

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't a Edge SIM melt or what have you if placed in a 3G phone? Higher data means for a beefier (is beefier a word?) SIM card
the first gen iPhone sim card is actually a 3g sim card , if you take it out youll see the 3g logo

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
Hey, one quick question, people in general who buy an UNLOCKED iPhone on ebay, do they simply buy it and just slip in their old SIM CARD and put it in and and it works? And they don't have to buy the DATA PLAN, is this correct?
yup thats exactly how it works

lild7hina

Bronze
Oct 28, 2007
i just talked to a AT&T sales person online and she said that i have to get the 3g data plan.. for a gen1 iPhone and currently i'm on a family plan and don't really want extend my warranty because my parents will be pissed...

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i was under the impression that the V1 sim card won't work on the 3g iPhone

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
when i had a treo i told att that i had a razr and to give methat data plan. medianet and i used it on my treo , they never knew... didit for a yr..

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
But the part I don't get is, when you activate on iTunes, wouldn't it not let you proceed unless you activate with the plan and everything?
you would want to slip in a sim card that is already activated, thats what they mean by the phone being unlocked you no longer have to activate through iTunes just slide an active sim card in the phone and it will work with whatever plan that sim card is activated to

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
i was under the impression that the V1 sim card won't work on the 3g iPhone
all sim cards are interchangeable with att, the only thing you have to worry about is 3g phones need 3g sim cards, lucky for us the first gen iPhone had a 3g sim card in it even though it wasn't a 3g phone, so it should have no problem working in the iPhone 3g