Possibly dumb iTunes question..

Jul 26, 2007
So, I'm supposedly getting my MBP on Tuesday and I was wondering how I would get my iPhone's data and everything from iTunes on my pc to the MBP? Or does it just recognize what I already have on there and just do everything normally.....if that makes since? (probably not) Thanks.

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
First thing I would do is sync on the PC and then choose to manually sync so that when you connect to the MBP, you get to choose your settings before it starts syncing. The sync selection is kept on the iPhone and is not pc/mac specific.

Select what you want transferred from your iPhone to your new MBP on iTunes and everything will be fine. Just don't choose the options at the bottom to overwrite the iPhone. It may get complicated if you are using .mac sync or Entourage or Outlook. Let us know, and I'm sure someone here will be able to help out.

I am on a MBP and am syncing my calendar via Entourage/ical and my contacts through AddressBook (Entourage does not play nice with AddressBook for me).

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i did this a few weeks ago when i got my MBP. you have a few options... the best one for you will depend on the size of your library, and your familiarity with sharing files on a network...

The strategy i went with was to share my PC's iTunes folder on a network (either peer-to-peer or LAN), and just add it to your iTunes Library on your Mac.

if your library is smaller, it might be easier to just back up your library to DVDs, and import it that way... but if you have 10+ GBs of songs, you're lookin at 2+ DVDs, which will take a LONG time to burn.

or, if you have an external hard drive, copy your PC's iTunes Folder to it, then hook it up to the Mac and add it to the Mac's Library.

so... like i said, i'd go the networking route... it doesn't require any "middle-man" media/hardware, and depending on your network, could be the fastest option as well.

DoubleD

Bronze
Aug 31, 2007
New Orleans
I have a similar question I posted in another thread but don't have an answer to yet, so here goes:

We've got 3 iPods and my iPhone on the iTunes on the PC(I know you'd have thought I'd made the move to Mac a long time ago). I'd like to move my iPhone and my 30GB iPod to the new Mac and keep the other 2 iPods(wife/daughter) on the PC so they can control their own iPods. (The PC will be moving to the living room for the daughter to Webkin on.)

Will I be able to do the disc library backup in iTunes to get my library onto the Mac and then move the library to the main drive of the PC(library on the PC slave HD now, which will become my Mac Time Machine drive) and everyone be able to work with their own iPods.

I also read that I'll have to reformat my iPod to work with the Mac, is that correct? Will I also have to do the same for my iPhone?

If I enable disc use on the iPod when formatted for Mac will I be able to use it as a portable HD with a PC? I sometimes use it as a portable drive for work files and work is PC.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I have a similar question I posted in another thread but don't have an answer to yet, so here goes:

We've got 3 iPods and my iPhone on the iTunes on the PC(I know you'd have thought I'd made the move to Mac a long time ago). I'd like to move my iPhone and my 30GB iPod to the new Mac and keep the other 2 iPods(wife/daughter) on the PC so they can control their own iPods. (The PC will be moving to the living room for the daughter to Webkin on.)

Will I be able to do the disc library backup in iTunes to get my library onto the Mac and then move the library to the main drive of the PC(library on the PC slave HD now, which will become my Mac Time Machine drive) and everyone be able to work with their own iPods.
yep. as long as you have enough room for the library on the PC's C:

I also read that I'll have to reformat my iPod to work with the Mac, is that correct? Will I also have to do the same for my iPhone?
you will have to format the ipod, but not your iPhone. formatting will only apply to devices with a hard disk.

If I enable disc use on the iPod when formatted for Mac will I be able to use it as a portable HD with a PC? I sometimes use it as a portable drive for work files and work is PC.
nope. if you format it for a Mac, windows probably won't even recognize the device. If you leave it as it is, you should probably at least be able to read the data on your mac... maybe even write to it. I'm not sure what format iPods typically are.