Post pics of Coloware iPhones

Aug 18, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
hey everyone, i recently bought a colorware iPhone and i was just curious if anyone else has done the same, if so lemme see some of your color combinations that you all have chosen! post those pics please!

iamse7en

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Looks pretty cool, but $150 to change the color of the back of your phone? Seems a little silly to me.

marauderrt10

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
lol you could of had me do that for 25$ worth of powder coat.... colorware is such a rip off. they gouge you when it can easily be done for cheap!

iBen

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
i wouldn't mind having mine all white on the back and chrome bezel. But 2 things made me not want it done: 1)Voiding your warranty! 2)Price

jeepshots

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
what is powder coat? You just tape the phone up and paint? How's it work?
It uses little bits of plastic, that pretty much has the consistency of baby powder. Its applied by electrostatically charging the paint bits as they're sprayed onto the item. Then the parts are baked to melt the plastic paint and have it bond.

So no, don't do it directly to the phone. :laugh2:

marauderrt10

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
It uses little bits of plastic, that pretty much has the consistency of baby powder. Its applied by electrostatically charging the paint bits as they're sprayed onto the item. Then the parts are baked to melt the plastic paint and have it bond.

So no, don't do it directly to the phone. :laugh2:
your somewhat right. Powdercoat is very fine paint powder mix that is soomewhere around 8000 mesh, it is done by first sandblasting (using sand to strip the silver off the back of the casing on the iPhone) and electicly charge the particles to stick to the bare metal (only works on metal) of the iPhone. Powdercoating lasts consideribly longer than regular paint does and almost never chips.

Aug 18, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
thanks for all of the pics guys! oo and you get the same warranty on the colorware iPhone. 12 months and if you wnat call them up and you can receive a 2 year one also for alittle extra. they don't just tape up the phone and paint it. they dissasemble it first. ooo and you think its stupid to get this done for 150$... all of you bought a cell phone for 600$! lol now thats just stupid... and i know what your thinkin.... ive got an iPhone wellll im also stupid! lol i loved the iPhone so i bought one, but so what is 150 extra bucks. maybe i have a different view about this whole 150$ thing because it wasn't a big deal to spend that extra for a custom iPhone.

Aug 18, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
ooo and people also talk about how easy it would be to do this,, just buy some tape and spray paint. well come one guys! lets see ya do it! lol id loveee to see some pics of someones iPhone being taped up and painted on! ya its a lot easier but still with coloware you receive that same 12 month warranty just like Apple gives us already. with that ghetto spray paint job, you get no warranty! and please don't hate on my iPhone, i just wnated to stand out and be different.

Aug 18, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
ooo and another thing! the guy who can do this for only 25$ worth of powder coating! hey man start a businesss. u just threw that out in the air of how much cheaper it would be to just powder coat this so then start doing it and make some money. theres a lot of people on these forums saying it can be done cheaper or better but i don't see anyone actually doing anything just bashin on colorware. their the only ones actually custom painting it in 29 different colors and also still giving us the warrently

marauderrt10

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
ooo and another thing! the guy who can do this for only 25$ worth of powder coating! hey man start a businesss. u just threw that out in the air of how much cheaper it would be to just powder coat this so then start doing it and make some money. theres a lot of people on these forums saying it can be done cheaper or better but i don't see anyone actually doing anything just bashin on colorware. their the only ones actually custom painting it in 29 different colors and also still giving us the warrently
lol you think i don't have a businesss for this? Think again man, i powdercoat rims for 150$, this
cost me a little over 50$ after CUSTOM making those valve covers from bare sheetmetal, so no, im not just all talk.

Aug 18, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
well not to start a stupid ass aruement but i am a certified welder and i weld on plumbing pipe all day everyday as my job and if you welded that man,, you need a little work on your welding skills, but also i noticed all of the specks in your paint or "powder coat", if thats what powder coating is supposta look like then im glad i spent the 150 to get my done. my iPhone doesn't have any specks or bumps, waving in the paint. im sorry borther but my iPhone just looks more professionaly done. but cool that you make lal of that custom ****

marauderrt10

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
well not to start a stupid ass aruement but i am a certified welder and i weld on plumbing pipe all day everyday as my job and if you welded that man,, you need a little work on your welding skills, but also i noticed all of the specks in your paint or "powder coat", if thats what powder coating is supposta look like then im glad i spent the 150 to get my done. my iPhone doesn't have any specks or bumps, waving in the paint. im sorry borther but my iPhone just looks more professionaly done. but cool that you make lal of that custom ****
well then you are obviously a liar because sheet metal is the hardest thing to weld, and i do the cleanest sheet metal weld jobs. the "specks" your speaking of is metallic flake, its suppose to look like that, second, there is no "waving in paint" considering its not paint, and third , powder coat has an even coat no matter how much you apply. So i would advise you to read up on your welding knowledge. I don't like to start an argument with you, but you obviously know nothing of how hard it is to weld sheet metal, ESPECIALLY to specs of being able to use them on cars. Also, i love how you know nothing about powdercoat and bash it, i could take a key to that valve cover and there wouldn't be the slightest scratch, i take a toothpick to your phone and i take the base coat clean off. So please, tell me how MY jobs are when i powdercoat $15,000 engines for people.

el31415

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
What about when you send it to Apple for repair
and you get a refurbish from Apple
then spend another $150

paulmiller

Aug 18, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
well thats the thing, you don't send it in to Apple for a fix. you send it to colorware and they fix it. and if they cant fix it for some reason, they take your colored case that you have bought from them, swap it out and put it on a brand new iPhone of the same memory.