Post-sell-out black market prices expected to triple?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jun 27, 2007
Could this be an opportunity to break even and then double my money back? A local news channel reports that due to the high demand and the high probability that the iPhone will sell out in hours the price will triple for impatient "got to have it" consumers. Considerring the hype that surrounded the PS3 and the outrageous post-sell-out prices is this theory valid? If so I might buy two.. I don't know. :?: what do you think?

Kyled8888@gmail.com

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
I was thinking the same thing, but considering they are shipping like, what, 3 million phones and it will require a service contract, I don't think it's going to be as high demand as the PS3

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Could this be an opportunity to break even and then double my money back? A local news channel reports that due to the high demand and the high probability that the iPhone will sell out in hours the price will triple for impatient "got to have it" consumers. Considerring the hype that surrounded the PS3 and the outrageous post-sell-out prices is this theory valid? If so I might buy two.. I don't know. :?: what do you think?
Well I've got three lines. I think I might take my two kids (the account users) and buy three at one time to test out the blackmarket pricing.

Jun 27, 2007
got a point there.. I was just thinking if the actual local store sold out in one day, I just might coincidentally hang out around the front of the store the next day for a quick 1000 or 1200 dollar sale.. doubt it will get that serious though..:cool:

jda182

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
you'll have to have more than one line for you to be able to buy more than one iPhone, since you have to have a 2 year contract just to buy one

Jun 27, 2007
you'll have to have more than one line for you to be able to buy more than one iPhone, since you have to have a 2 year contract just to buy one
I heard you can activate it from home over some iTunes software. And is the Apple retailer activating it from their store front or do you have to take it to the actual service provider?

jda182

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
im not sure about the contract, but i know you pick your plan on iTunes when you activate it. it shows it on the video

jda182

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
yes i like the idea that you have to sign a contract to buy one, this will stop ppl from going in and buying all the iPhones stores have and selling them on ebay at jacked up prices

Jun 27, 2007
yes my point exactly why it's a good thing. But if it doesn't happen to work that way then you better believe I am on the bandwaggon buying and jacking up prices on ebay. lol =) it's a viscious cycle..

jordan

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
Oklahoma
ya i might a couple and just have my girlfriend go and give one to her and then maybe sell hers on ebay if she doesn't like it. but i highly doubt she won't like it...

Jun 27, 2007
I don't know about that mang... It seems the word is: that you have to sign the two year contract on purchase. Then again i also hear: that if you are under an existing contract you can buy it "out right" (more than one maybe?) and then transfer your number over and sign an extension or something along those lines.. and something about if you are even eligeable as an axsisting user.... I'm kind of unclear about that.

jcl

Jun 27, 2007
WM, LA
The way I 'signed' my last contract was by going through an automated process where I verified private info and pressed the "are you sure" type button. I actually purchased my BB and made a couple plan changes in-store and the rep said before you make your first call do this.

I think the actual contract signing will be a checkbox in the iTunes setup.

iprincess

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
twitter.com
i doubt they will sell for much of a profit on ebay. everyone knows about the iPhone and has for months, not to mention that it is likely to sell out, so anyone that desperately wants one has made arrangements on how to get one. the only thing i see happening is too many people will buy extra iPhones thinking they are going to make a massive profit, only to have the ebay market immersed with thousands of iPhones driving down the prices resulting in sellers losing money and/or returning the iPhone to the store.

JOLLYWOG

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
i doubt they will sell for much of a profit on ebay. everyone knows about the iPhone and has for months, not to mention that it is likely to sell out, so anyone that desperately wants one has made arrangements on how to get one. the only thing i see happening is too many people will buy extra iPhones thinking they are going to make a massive profit, only to have the ebay market immersed with thousands of iPhones driving down the prices resulting in sellers losing money and/or returning the iPhone to the store.
I just don't see a huge amount of people buying multiple phones at 500/600 a pop just for resale.

As far as Ebay is concerned I think demand will outstrip supply if the incredible interest level in the phone actually translates into sales. If that happens.. watch out. At least in the short term, prices will skyrocket on Ebay and those getting in early will make a killing.

soloudinhere

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
The way I 'signed' my last contract was by going through an automated process where I verified private info and pressed the "are you sure" type button. I actually purchased my BB and made a couple plan changes in-store and the rep said before you make your first call do this.

I think the actual contract signing will be a checkbox in the iTunes setup.

Thanks to the wonder that is 21 CFR Part 11, this is probably exactly how it will work.