Post update 1.1.1 Phone overheating

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sep 11, 2007
Ok I have just updated my phone to the latest update. I am experiencing some problems.

1. Phone is heating up real bad toward top (ear portion). What could be causing this? Any solution to this problem?

2. Battery seems to be draining real fast after the update. Hmmm ......

Just to let u guys know, I did cleaned up all my websites(blank page in safari) before update, shut the phone down for few minutes before and after the update. This is frustating! My iPhone was working great before the update, no problems.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
There should be a sticky to tell people what to try before posting a problem and searching

In order:

1.) Shutdown and/or restart phone

2.) Drain the battery until you see "Please connect to power" (or whatever it says) and charge it to full

3.) Restart fresh by reloading the firware and software.

Once these have been done and a search finds nothing then ask a question or return it. Don't just go the Apple "genius bar". Those guys know way less then we do here at EiP.

The heating of the phone for no reason happens quite a bit to people and one of these three solutions has helped me in solving that problem.

iPhone8801

Bronze
Sep 22, 2007
Yeah crazy thing; it happened to me this morning. I had it under the pillow charging over night (why? so the alarm would blast in my ear) and once I woke up at 8. No alarm.

I was left with a drained battery, and a case as hot as a freshly boiled egg. ...it was HOT!:mad:

So I proceeded to restart it 4 or 5 times. 20 minutes later No luck. Plugged it into laptop for about 5 minutes and it restarted!

Note that this is the first time this has happened to the phone after the 1.1.1 update.

Weird.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
This is bizarre but I noticed the top heating for the first time today. It seems to happen only when using Edge, not wifi, and doesn't seem to heat up when just talking on it. Just being on doesn't seem to heat it up.

Sep 11, 2007
This is bizarre but I noticed the top heating for the first time today. It seems to happen only when using Edge, not wifi, and doesn't seem to heat up when just talking on it. Just being on doesn't seem to heat it up.
Very true. I have also seen when I use youtube via edge that's like the worst .

I just don't like my phone after update. Web browser acts weird from time to time. The camera takes longer to take a shot than before. BTW, I just noticed I have a "play" symbol to the left of the battery symbol. What does that mean?

powersrus

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Battle Creek, MI.
this is true for me too, just happens when on Edge gets really hot at the top...whats going on..why would this just start after a update?

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
Very true. I have also seen when I use youtube via edge that's like the worst .

I just don't like my phone after update. Web browser acts weird from time to time. The camera takes longer to take a shot than before. BTW, I just noticed I have a "play" symbol to the left of the battery symbol. What does that mean?
Usually means your iPod is playing.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
this is true for me too, just happens when on Edge gets really hot at the top...whats going on..why would this just start after a update?
I've spent a lot of time on various sites and this is a problem that has actually occurred with iPhones since their release, not just since 1.1.1. Now I didn't notice this problem until after 1.1.1, but then again I hadn't been surfing on Edge that much either so I can't actually say it wasn't doing it before the upgrade. The upgrade came out the day after I bought the phone so it's possible I just hadn't played with the phone enough to notice.

powersrus

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Battle Creek, MI.
I am always using Edge when I'm waiting to pick up my son from school and i never noticed it until after the update.
Like someone else stated when viewing youtube on Edge is when it gets REALLY hot!

I've spent a lot of time on various sites and this is a problem that has actually occurred with iPhones since their release, not just since 1.1.1. Now I didn't notice this problem until after 1.1.1, but then again I hadn't been surfing on Edge that much either so I can't actually say it wasn't doing it before the upgrade. The upgrade came out the day after I bought the phone so it's possible I just hadn't played with the phone enough to notice.

KTran

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
TX
over heating

My phone has been over heating many times :

a. phone call

I talk to my gf using M2M all day long. Just constantly on with her and receive call waiting. As I walk and brush my forearm along the screen it occasionally feels very warm. We have conversations for varying from 20 minutes to five hours. Oddly, overheating does not occur each and every time.

b. surfing on safari
c. viewing youtube

Just lying in bed trying to sleep, I would browse just help me fall asleep. There are times I surf for two hours and by then it will definitely get hot. I have the Griffin Leather Holster fitted snug. Imagine how much heat and how long it takes to heat up and transfer through. Once again, over heating does not occur each and every time.

Anybody else utilize the iPhone the same way?
Do you have the same syptoms?
Would I be eligible for an exchange?

DisneyEcho

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
disneyecho.emuck.com
Hotter because it is faster

See the topic about Does the iPhone run faster with 1.1.2... They have tested and found that it does, and this is probably the reason for slightly shorter battery life and it running hotter. I'm using it without a case and have no overheating issues.