Post your battery life here

jtenenbaum

Jul 22, 2007
I SMS the most... and also check the web via edge here and there. Always check the weather at least once a day, get calendar reminders and set appointments, and do other little things (track my gas mileage with notes and calculator, check e-mail occasionally, make an occasional phone call). Today I took some pictures with the camera. Last night I browsed via WiFi for a bit. I use most of the features of the iPhone other than the stocks, but I'd call myself a "moderate" user.

I'm ALWAYS getting two days of battery life with that kind of "typical" usage (for myself). Last time I charged was Friday night. Now Sunday night I'm still at about 50%. I'll probably charge tonight, but I bet I could get through the whole day tomorrow even if I didn't.

I keep WiFi off when I don't need it. I keep WiFi Auto-Connect off ALWAYS. I keep bluetooth off when I don't need it. I keep my brightness down around 30% (which is perfect, IMO).

For those who have followed my posts, I ALSO have a battery/iPhone that doesn't report a fully charged battery properly. I have never had anything but "--" in my usage stats. I had thought of exchanging it after trying nearlyl everything to get the usage stats working, but because it's the only problem I have I decided to hold off for the first software update. Considering how good my battery life is, I'm convinced it's a software glitch.
what is the series number of your LCD just out of curiosity?

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
With moderate use, several phone calls, 3 hours of audio per day, 2 hours of video per day, always on standby... 2 days of use before I need to charge.

ja_vo

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hey all,

I've been reading various posts about supposed poor or innaccurate iPhone battery life. I suggest that those serious about determining if their battery is up to par, bite the bullet and cruise the web over wifi on a full charge. See how long it takes for your battery to die and post your results.

I'll start. My battery died 6 hours and 15 minutes into the test. That's 15 minutes more than Apple's rated specs.
Usage- 9 Hours
Standby- 22 Hours

hexonxonx

Silver
I am still on the same battey charge that I was on when I posted earlier in this thread, I now have 1 day 7 hours. Usage is 8 hours. Been sitting here listening to the iPod with music playing and in sleep mode. Battery is just under 50% or so.

I have the 7 series screen. Again most of that time was iPod usage, about 10 phone calls, and the about an hour experimenting trying to share my notebooks wifi with my phone just for the fun of it.

I love this phone. Can't take any pictures, my camera is out in the car with a dead battery, haven't used it in a year.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I have a 5 series and my battery life is really-really good. I can easily go 2 days with moderate phone use, heavy music use and 2 hours a day of video use.

monte1985

Jul 18, 2007
Well here is what i got so far . Battery seems to be getting better . I bought the phone on July 11th and this will be my 3rd time charging it .

Usage time : 8 hours 4 minutes
Stand By : 3 Days 6 hours

Battery warning of 20% left just popped up .

Ive used it for calls . Not too long of calls. Checking voice mail . Browsing you tube for like an hour. 2 hours of music everynight for 3 days . About 45 minutes of watching video. Also surfing the web using wifi. I did however have bluetooth off and wifi off when i was not using it . Have auto brightness on . Also i would turn the phone off at night when i went to bed and back on in the morning when i woke up . Also pressed the sleep button right away when i was done with the phone. I only plugged the phone into my computer for like 2 minutes during this time just to sync it . Thats why it says it was plugged in and that was the only time .

Heres a pic :

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Here is my question to all of those with usage times around 4hrs: Is your LCD of the 5 series or the 7 series variety? I ask this because I have now had 3 different iPhones, where the first 2 were replaced for hardware defects (no sound out of external speaker, and dead pixel on #2) but both of those got amazing battery life (7+hrs of usage) AND were of the 5 series LCD batch.

However on the phone I currently have it has a 7 series LCD and it only gets around 4 hrs or so of mixed internet/phone use before hitting 10%.
It doesn't matter what LCD model you have. I have a 7 series.. I have 6 hours usage (3 hours phone, 3 hours internet) with 3 full days standby and I still have 30-35% remaining.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Hey all,

I've been reading various posts about supposed poor or innaccurate iPhone battery life. I suggest that those serious about determining if their battery is up to par, bite the bullet and cruise the web over wifi on a full charge. See how long it takes for your battery to die and post your results.

I'll start. My battery died 6 hours and 15 minutes into the test. That's 15 minutes more than Apple's rated specs.
2.5 days on average. If I'm really showing off my features a lot, then it might only be two.

hexonxonx

Silver
Well here is what i got so far . Battery seems to be getting better . I bought the phone on July 11th and this will be my 3rd time charging it .

Usage time : 8 hours 4 minutes
Stand By : 3 Days 6 hours

Battery warning of 20% left just popped up .

Ive used it for calls . Not too long of calls. Checking voice mail . Browsing you tube for like an hour. 2 hours of music everynight for 3 days . About 45 minutes of watching video. Also surfing the web using wifi. I did however have bluetooth off and wifi off when i was not using it . Have auto brightness on . Also i would turn the phone off at night when i went to bed and back on in the morning when i woke up . Also pressed the sleep button right away when i was done with the phone. I only plugged the phone into my computer for like 2 minutes during this time just to sync it . Thats why it says it was plugged in and that was the only time .

Heres a pic :
Question: Obviously the phone says that you have had it plugged in since the last full charge. How long did you have it plugged in? If you have it plugged into the USB port or to a wall socket, the phone is recharging so that will make your phone appear to last longer since it's been fully charged last.

dotcom

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
I turned off the autobrightness setting on the phone and I have been using it today surfing the web on wifi, using the phone, and watching video podcasts and so far it shows 10 hours usage and the battery is at @40% what a difference from the 6 hours I was getting before. I'm not sure what that autobrightness does but I'm leaving it off for good.

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
I turned off the autobrightness setting on the phone and I have been using it today surfing the web on wifi, using the phone, and watching video podcasts and so far it shows 10 hours usage and the battery is at @40% what a difference from the 6 hours I was getting before. I'm not sure what that autobrightness does but I'm leaving it off for good.

Omg same thing here. I turned off autobrightness about 5.5 hrs usage so far with 1 hr being a movie and my battery icon doesn't even has a dent in it. Whatever autobrightness does is not worth the battery keeping it off saves.

JPizzzle

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Dotcom and theracker, what setting approx do you leave the brightness on to get those results? Thx

slipperypete

Bronze
May 20, 2007
WOW, I am on my 2nd iPhone(exchanged the 1st one for battery life) and I cannot even come close to these usage stand by numbers. I need to charge every night (bad thing is new iPhone will not charge fully). I might make a few calls and will check e-mail and surf the web.

5 series LCD here.

hexonxonx

Silver
I have 1 day and 21 hours on my standby. I have 12 hours and 26 minutes on usage! Still have not reached the 20% warning. I'm about ready to go home from work and I won't even charge the phone till after I have slept.

Turning that auto brightness seems to really have helped, I have my brightness set at just about 50% and the wifi has been off most of the day, no bluetooth today at all.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Jesus christ....my battery life hasn't given me any reason to really complain much, but for some reason, my current usage says 29 minutes, and my battery life indicater has already lost a little notch, on the display. WTF?

I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact I let it run down to (pretty much) empty, yesterday, and then charge it overnight?
It obviously got a full charge, as the timer was obviously reset....

EDIT: I usually don't see any change in the battery display, until it hits at least about 2.5 hours usage.....

JPizzzle

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Do you guys think turning off ask to join networks in wifi will save a significant amount of battery life?

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Do you guys think turning off ask to join networks in wifi will save a significant amount of battery life?
Yes.
I also think turning WiFi and Bluetooth off when you're not using them helps. I also keep auto brightness off, and my brightness down around 30%.