Post Your Impressions of the iOS 8 Beta

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Napoleon PhoneApart, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'll give my first impressions of beta 1 sometime Tuesday evening.

2. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Apart from the quick reply, I haven't noticed any other features worth talking about. Most of the new features will require devs to update their apps to take advantage of.

But it is cool that the beta comes with a bug reporter built-in so non-developer beta users can report bugs.

3. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

I like it. 'Hey Siri' works as advertised. It's pretty convenient. The new iMessages feature is really a nice and long-awaited addition.

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

And I'm gonna use it tonight on my iPad 3. As an aside, apparently the iPad 3 doesn't get the predictive keyboard or Hey, Siri. At least mine doesn't.

5. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

After messing around with it for a few hours I've found that my predictive keyboard has just all together stopped working even after a reset... I can't airdrop even though I'm using Yosemite and iOS8... The only features worth upgrading for are the ones that they've added to messaging for and the time-lapse video feature is pretty cool...Continuity definitely isn't working either...

6. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I love the new Siri. Not sure if she was able to do this before but she can check and read email. The spotlight is awesome. The new Keyboard is great. iMessage is pretty fun. I haven't played with continuity yet because I haven't installed Yosemite.

7. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Did you try receiving and making calls from your computer? Have you tested automatic hotspot?

8. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

After upgrading to Yosemite and iOS8 I've received a few calls and I haven't seen any notifications to pick up the call on my computer. I don't have a plan that enables me to use hotspots so I'm not able to test that.

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Has anyone seen the option for a dark theme?

10. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

I think that's only an option in OS X Yosemite and it's not available in the first Dev build... If you're talking about the Inverted or Grey Scale settings they can be found in Settings > General > Accessibility

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Yep. I forgot which thread I was on. :oops:

12. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I longer see an option to add photos to my existing photo stream. I do see an option to upload to iCloud but not sure if it's the same thing or the new iCloud drive that isn't available yet. I guess we will no longer get free unlimited photo stream storage since iCloud Drive is replacing it.

Edit: nevermind. I figured it out.

#12 ZR_Yancy, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  13. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

She could read email but with IOS 8, there is a lot more she can do. I like how Siri is improved with every update. Soon, we will not need to download apps because Siri will be able to handle it.

14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Yeah, but then the servers will be down. Bring voice dialing and music control back to being handled locally on the iPhone.

15. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I don't know which thread to put this in so I will put it here and if a Mod can move it to the appropriate thread, that would be great. One thing that I would like to see in iOS 8 is an improvement to the App Store where can I specify where I want to download a particular app. Ex. I have folders where I keep all of my apps and one of those folders is "Games". I would like to be able to download an app directly to that folder. I'm actually surprised that this feature does not exist unless it is an oversight.

16. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Finally updated my iPad to iOS 8. The SMS and Call pushing to iPad is pretty freaking sweet. I tried a call briefly and the audio quality was really bad, but that could haven just been an att issue.

Now at home I don't have to carry around my iPhone and iPad together just to make sure I don't miss a text or call.