Post your iPhone 5 speed test!

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
Just for kicks, try a different nearby server. I've experienced speeds 10 times faster with a Chicago server vs. one only 1/2 mile from my house in Chicago's south suburbs

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I was a little disappointed that my city wasn't listed as one of the 75 or so to roll out LTE this summer, but my 4G speeds are pretty damned good so I can't complain.

image.jpg

Reactions: Rafagon

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Today I was very close to downtown Miami and finally remembered to do a Speedtest. I thought it was lousy at my house. But this is insane. I wonder if I just happen to have a lousy LTE radio in my iPhone. Seriously considering taking it in to the Genius Bar! I have a year since the date of purchase, right? Except, they wouldn't replace it with a brand new unit, correct?
View attachment 28855
Have you tried resetting your network settings?

Reactions: Rafagon

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Have you tried resetting your network settings?
I hadn't, because I thought that would only help with Wi-Fi issues! Thanks for the tip!

Anyways, I just went ahead and reset my network settings. Still very, very slow. About the same as I've always gotten from home before. Note that there are four bars! It really has to be the tower that's serving my area. I'm gonna call AT&T tomorrow and bring up the issue to a live human, maybe even ask for a supervisor. I just don't believe that Marking The Spot alone will yield significant results, but I'm willing to Mark The Spot a few more times, hopefully they actually look at that sometimes.

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1365743592.599053.jpg

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I hadn't, because I thought that would only help with Wi-Fi issues! Thanks for the tip!

Anyways, I just went ahead and reset my network settings. Still very, very slow. About the same as I've always gotten from home before. Note that there are four bars! It really has to be the tower that's serving my area. I'm gonna call AT&T tomorrow and bring up the issue to a live human, maybe even ask for a supervisor. I just don't believe that Marking The Spot alone will yield significant results, but I'm willing to Mark The Spot a few more times, hopefully they actually look at that sometimes.

View attachment 28859
That's better than the last one, but still quite slow for LTE. Do you know anyone else with an LTE phone that you can use to do a couple side-by-side tests for comparison? I'm guessing it's your area rather than a problem with the phone, but you'll need to to check it from another phone to be sure.

The bars aren't always a reliable indicator of signal strength. I've dropped calls while I've had four or five bars before.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
My work location has a AT&T tower on one side of me and a little closer is a Verizon tower. Initially, the LTE was crap. I used mark the spot about a half a dozen times over 5 months and suddenly, it went to 4g and sucked for a week, then back to LTE full bars and fast speeds.

Sent using iCafe app

besweeet

Contributor
Silver
Jun 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX
briansweet.me

What are your speeds like on "4G?"

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
That's terrible. I recommend moving to San Antonio, Dallas, San Francisco or Jacksonville NC; the LTE speeds there are amazing. My personal favorite is San Francisco. ;)
Believe you me. If I was financially able to do any of those moves, I would!

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
That's terrible. I recommend moving to San Antonio, Dallas, San Francisco or Jacksonville NC; the LTE speeds there are amazing. My personal favorite is San Francisco. ;)
I'm very lucky in that 95% of my waking hours are spent with home Wi-Fi readily accessible to me. I'm currently unemployed. This sucks for obvious reasons, but I hope to remedy this situation soon.