Post Your iPhone MacBook Air Pics!

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Even I got confused by the title!

But here it is, fresh from Fedex delivery: the new Mac baby (1.8 Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB of memory, SSD)

Cute, but not too small. Snappy, but not always as fast as Big Bro, the MacBook Pro (which -by the way- is a 2.16 Intel Core Duo of the first generation. 2 GB of memory. I got it about 1 month before the Intel Core 2 was announced) .

Unscientific Speed tests:)

MBA start: 22 seconds

MBP start: 58 seconds

Opening any app: MBA way faster than MBP

Loading Safari pages on the same wireless connection: MBA way faster than MBP

Opening a picture in Photoshop: MBP here is faster than MBA

22.6 MB pic - MBP : 2 seconds
MBA: 4 seconds

MBP was faster in applying filters to large pictures too.

Movie stuff will have to wait... I'd stay than overall, MBA felt a lot snappier than MBP, but it might not be true for processor-intensive stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
That's great. I am so excited for you. I still haven't decided what to buy.

Nice pics, too. Thanks for the report.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Nice. You'll probably be the only posting pictures though, unless somebody else got one. I'll be sticking with my MBP pro for now; however, I'd really like to replace my Mini.

- John

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Nice. You'll probably be the only posting pictures though, unless somebody else got one. I'll be sticking with my MBP pro for now; however, I'd really like to replace my Mini.

-0 John
There's got to be somebody else with an iPhone who bought a MacBook Air, but I'm probably the only one motivated enough to post pictures. I bet they would all look the same...:)
However, I can attest that it is speedy and convenient. If size isn't that important, it is a great little computer. For those worried about ports: I've got a tiny 4-port Belkin USB hub connecting a track ball (I'm addicted to those), the superdrive(*) and the iPhone to the only USB port. One left!
Network detected all the other computers in the house without configuration.
I can't wait to take it on a trip to Texas on Thursday.
:(Texas isn't my idea of a vacation, but it will do.

(*) On the minus side, I just discovered that the superdrive works only if connected directly to the MBA...

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
d@mn, you've got a lot of apps in your dock. care to list them all? im fairly new to mac (almost a year on a MB) and have only added Acorn, which i'm yet to figure out, Skype, on which i have no friends, and Handbrake. everything else is OTB. any suggestions?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
d@mn, you've got a lot of apps in your dock. care to list them all? im fairly new to mac (almost a year on a MB) and have only added Acorn, which i'm yet to figure out, Skype, on which i have no friends, and Handbrake. everything else is OTB. any suggestions?
Here they are. This is only my laptop. I've got a lot more stuff on my MP:eek:. It's hard to suggest what to get without knowing what you're interested in.

Last edited by a moderator:

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
:mad:I have such a headache. I installed Parallels with WindowsXP and was forced to reactivate Windows on the phone. It took forever. I had forgotten how painful it could be. We Mac users have it so easy with Mac Os X!

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
Gratz on the MBA. I think I'll be waiting for the second version of that to come out before I make the plunge. I don't mind the 5lbs of my MBP for the power it gives me.

And I'll do you one better on the Parallels thing. I installed it on my second MBP and, like a big dummy, neglected to stick an anti-virus program on there. About 3 months later someone sent me a link to check and I opened it in Parallels. It downloaded a little malware app that promptly screwed up the Windows registry. So I ended up with a crashing Parallels sessions everytime I'd try to launch it. It was a MISERABLE experience to get that partition cleaned up and reinstall Windows as you aren't really doing a "clean" install with Parallels.

On my newest MBP I went with Boot Camp....AND installed a virus scanner.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I think I'm experiencing the same problem on my Mac Pro. I get error messages/freezes all the time when using Parallels/Windows XP. Of course, I've never used a virus scanner.
I migrated this Windows XP machine from my MBP and it seems to be working OK (despite the activation headache), but I have no virus program or security.
I think I'm going to look into getting one.

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA
I have no intention of trying to run Windows on my new MacBook Pro... even if I could. My only issue will be doling out the $$ to switch my apps to Mac versions...

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
I have no intention of trying to run Windows on my new MacBook Pro... even if I could. My only issue will be doling out the $$ to switch my apps to Mac versions...
Unfortunately for me, there are a couple of apps I can't find suitable replacements for in Mac-land. Namely:

1) Microsoft Project
2) Microsoft Visio

Generally, however, I've been happy with almost all the Mac variants of popular Windows applications. The one exception is the lack of what I consider to be a quality, easy to use Usenet Newsreader application on the Mac. I was a Forte Agent and then later NewsLeecher user for years on the PC. Unison is the best newsreader I've found on the Mac and while it handles downloads of binaries just fine, it sucks as a true-blue newsgroup discussion tool.

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA
Unfortunately for me, there are a couple of apps I can't find suitable replacements for in Mac-land. Namely:

1) Microsoft Project
2) Microsoft Visio

Generally, however, I've been happy with almost all the Mac variants of popular Windows applications. The one exception is the lack of what I consider to be a quality, easy to use Usenet Newsreader application on the Mac. I was a Forte Agent and then later NewsLeecher user for years on the PC. Unison is the best newsreader I've found on the Mac and while it handles downloads of binaries just fine, it sucks as a true-blue newsgroup discussion tool.
I hear ya... fortunately, I have the Windows versions of what I need still working fine on my HP Vista laptop, so no need to rush to move over yet. That's even more true as the big ones (Adobe Photoshop CS2, etc.) are an expensive proposition, and some don't exist (like Project and Visio.) So I will keep one device for each world for the time being. The fun part will be doing my iPhone syncs in both worlds. :cool:

bloodbath18

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007

1) Microsoft Project
2) Microsoft Visio

Try http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php. I find it a suitable replacement for Microsoft and it's free...

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Unfortunately, I have to run Windows, because my office schedule and hospital computers can only be accessed through Windows, otherwise I wouldn't, I swear!

I like Parallels, because I can run Windows without leaving the Mac (like have to restart with Boot Camp, but it's HELL to configure, but then, isn't it always the case withWindows? Once it's running, it's pretty flawless.

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA
Unfortunately, I have to run Windows, because my office schedule and hospital computers can only be accessed through Windows, otherwise I wouldn't, I swear!
I know that feeling, as I work in IT for a large healthcare system. We only support Windows desktops, although we have a lot of IT users with Macs and more and more doctors buying Macs. Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes!:laugh2:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I have quite a list as well. My dock is only about half of my Applications folder, so.

Finder
Dashboard
Mail
Safari
Address Book
iCal
Spaces
iTunes
iPhoto
AppleWorks
iDVD
Terminal
GarageBand
System Preferences
QuickTime
AppDelete
Preview
Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Photoshop
Lock Desktop
Keychain
wavepad
Time Machine
Automator
Permanent Eraser
IceClean
Activity Monitor
LoginWindow Manager
sshfs
Stuffit Expander
Disk Utility
Console
iToner
Copernicus
Bonjour Browser
Cyberduck
iChat
Keynote
PhotoBooth
Pages

It's a rather small dock.

What? I skipped all the Microsoft Apps? No! They do not exist on my Mac! AppleWorks and Pages for document processing, and Keynote for presentations.

- John

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I'll see if If I can list my MacPro's apps when I get home and play that game "mine is bigger than yours!';) (maybe)

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
here is me holding mine.. yall know what it looks like so i don't need to take mug shots of it ...

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
this thing is insane, i like that i can navigate this site with the three finger swipe..... i can navigate this site in like half the time.... this is cool