Posting direct link to iTunes store for access via desktop browser

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Is there any way to post a link directly to the iTunes Store desktop app within a post on eiC (via itmss://itunes.apple.com/us...) for viewing on a desktop browser?

My recent attempt failed, so I could only post the link to the website equivalent.

Seems like the direct links to the App Store work perfectly when on the iPhone; is there a way to achieve the same on a desktop browser?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Yes - head over to Apple's website and find the app you want to link too. When you're on the iTunes Preview page of the application, you'll see a button saying, 'View in iTunes' - right click on this and select copy link address. Then paste here....

For example: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/angry-birds-rio/id420635506?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=2#

Or

Angry Birds
Yep, I got that far, but it only takes me to iTunes Preview page for the app in question in a new tab in the browser. The user still needs to click on the "View in iTunes" button to launch (or switch to, if it's already running) iTunes. I'm wondering if there is a way to post the itms:// link that, when clicked, launches iTunes.app and takes you into the page for the app in question.

The whole URL is itmss://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/angry-birds-rio/id420635506, but as you can see, it won't launch iTunes...

It works for iOS; you post the link and it launches the App Store app.