Potential problem with Iphone 7, 7+

gadgetguy

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
I`ve had my Iphone 7+ for less than a week now & see a problem that might occur with time. Over time, I can see the lightning connector on the Iphone getting dirty & causing problems down the road. Has anyone designed a plug to keep dirt from getting into the lightning connector? I`m thinking about using a memory foam ear protector & cutting it to size to keep any dirt out. Anyone have Ideas?

GJCP911

Bronze
Aug 28, 2011
I`ve had my Iphone 7+ for less than a week now & see a problem that might occur with time. Over time, I can see the lightning connector on the Iphone getting dirty & causing problems down the road. Has anyone designed a plug to keep dirt from getting into the lightning connector? I`m thinking about using a memory foam ear protector & cutting it to size to keep any dirt out. Anyone have Ideas?
Something like this? Ignore the audio jack cover lol.
[Aftermarket Prodcut] 10x White Earphone Audio Jack & Lightning Dock Anti Dust Plug Cap For iPhone 5 http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00A4A8FTE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_udp_api_t08bybAZVCQPF

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
New Trent cases had their own plugs, as well as others such as LifeProof and Otterbox to name a few.

But, this has been a problem since Apple created the lightening port. It is not just on the iPhone 7.

GJCP911

Bronze
Aug 28, 2011
Thanks for the link! I ordered a similar one on Amazon. I have my phone in a Speck case so hope it fits.
Your welcome. I don't know how but I've never had any trouble with dirt or dust in my lightning port on my iPhone 6 Plus and I've never used a port cover I've just always used a case. I'm currently using an Xvida wireless charging case on my iPhone 6 Plus which covers the port anyway. Link just incase anyone is interested: http://www.xvida.com/en/53-wireless-charging

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's not a common problem, but I have seen a couple posts (IIRC, one of them may have been yours) where Apple cleaned/scraped ports for free for people when the ports were dirty or packed with lint and causing connection problems as a result. Plugging the ports is unnecessary for most people. I never had and I've had no problems.
New Trent cases had their own plugs, as well as others such as LifeProof and Otterbox to name a few.

But, this has been a problem since Apple created the lightening port. It is not just on the iPhone 7.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
It's not a common problem, but I have seen a couple posts (IIRC, one of them may have been yours) where Apple cleaned/scraped ports for free for people when the ports were dirty or packed with lint and causing connection problems as a result. Plugging the ports is unnecessary for most people. I never had and I've had no problems.
This happened to me a couple of years ago. Apple cleaned out the lightning port and all was well.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
And the old 30 pin connectors wouldn't have this problem? That was a much larger opening so it was easier for a lot more gunk to get in there.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
They cleaned mine with an exacto knife. I cleaned another one with skinny medical tweezers.