Power adapter getting really hot

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I was at school yesterday working on an assignment with a classmate and was positioning the power adapter to be out of the way. It was quite hot to the touch. We both commented that it was normal for it to generate a lot of heat but I'd like to know if there is anything you can do about it.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I was at school yesterday working on an assignment with a classmate and was positioning the power adapter to be out of the way. It was quite hot to the touch. We both commented that it was normal for it to generate a lot of heat but I'd like to know if there is anything you can do about it.
It's normal for it to get hot, though it shouldn't get hot enough to cause a burn. Charging a MBP draws a lot of energy.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but today I had my charger plugged into the MBP and when I unplugged it from the wall, it was really hot. It was hot enough that if I left my hand on it, the feeling would not be comfortable. I don't know for sure if it would have burned me. It's definitely hotter than usual and I know it's drawing considerable power, so is there anything that I can do to keep it from being so hot?

Kobel1up

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 14, 2012
Eastern Ohio
I am very picky when it comes to where I charge my computer and my iPhones. If you notice your charger getting hot, try a different outlet. Just my thought.