Power adapter getting really hot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by silvermoon, Oct 12, 2014.

1. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I was at school yesterday working on an assignment with a classmate and was positioning the power adapter to be out of the way. It was quite hot to the touch. We both commented that it was normal for it to generate a lot of heat but I'd like to know if there is anything you can do about it.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's normal for it to get hot, though it shouldn't get hot enough to cause a burn. Charging a MBP draws a lot of energy.

3. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I didn't get burned. Although it was definitely hot. It hadn't affected the charging at all.

4. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but today I had my charger plugged into the MBP and when I unplugged it from the wall, it was really hot. It was hot enough that if I left my hand on it, the feeling would not be comfortable. I don't know for sure if it would have burned me. It's definitely hotter than usual and I know it's drawing considerable power, so is there anything that I can do to keep it from being so hot?

5. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Member
    Bronze

I am very picky when it comes to where I charge my computer and my iPhones. If you notice your charger getting hot, try a different outlet. Just my thought.