Power and home buttons not working after battery swap

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by besweeet, Dec 4, 2013.

1. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

After swapping batteries, my home and power buttons no longer work, so I think I might've damaged something during the installation, but I can't find anything (at least regarding the ribbon cables and connectors) that indicates that. They simply don't seem to be working, no matter what. They feel exactly the same before, and as far as I know, weren't even touched. I'm stuck with using AssistiveTouch. The only remaining problem is getting the screen to turn on, unless I want to wait for notifications to come in (I usually get 2 per minute anyway), or use my headset's button to turn Siri on, or plug in then unplug my phone :/.

Anyone happen to know of any magic ideas to get them working again?

I'm thinking about just selling this damn thing on eBay and getting a 5s. Original phone plan was to just wait until the next iPhone comes out (assuming it has a bigger screen), but that might've all just changed.

If I can at least get the home button to work, I'll be happy, since then I'd only need to use AssistiveTouch for turning the screen off on demand.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Your battery went bad in just over a year? That's very unusual. I'm curious if Apple would have replaced it for free even though it was just out of warranty.

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions for getting the buttons working again other than repeating all of the steps. I haven't ever had to replace an iPhone battery.

3. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

I already tried to get it replaced due to battery concerns, and they wouldn't budge (at least 70 days out of warranty), and they definitely won't now that I sort of ruined some internals.

The phone that the battery was in was a replacement that I got I think 3 months ago. But the battery has been progressively draining faster to the point where it'll lose a percent every 2-3 minutes of extremely basic usage at the lowest brightness, regardless if Wi-Fi is on and connected, off and using T-Mobile's cellular data, or in airplane mode with Wi-Fi on.