Power Button Broken, Out of Warranty, Any Ideas?

Mar 9, 2009
I have had my iPhone since January 2008, and after 14 months of dropping it, it finally messed up on me. The power button does not do a thing, so I need another way of resetting it without having to restore it every time. I know there are applications for jailbroken phones to allow you to use the home button as a power button as well, but from the jailbreak methods I have seen, they all require you to turn off your phone manually at some point in the process. Apple charges 199 to repair it, and for that price I can just get a 3G. From the AT&T guys I have talked to, they do not know how to fix it. Any ideas?

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i would at least jailbreak it and give the toggle on/off program a try, i also seem to remember a program that changes your on off button to your silent button (you just switch it back and forth twice or something) but i could be wrong. you could also just sell it for a hundred bucks or so and cut your losses, someone will find use for it.

bulls6pack

Bronze
Jan 27, 2009
Peoria, Illinois
You could insure it through your insurance company. I have mine insured through State Farm for like 4 or 5 bucks a month, and they said they'd replace it for just about any reason. Very good deal!

isal

Bronze
Mar 22, 2009
Toronto
Hi,

What program is this that makes the on/off button the silent switch button?

Thanks!

panzeriti

Bronze
Apr 15, 2009
Sell it on Craigs and then buy a new one... of course let them know it is broken. Some people will buy to fix it up or whatever.

Or... Find someone who will fix it for cheaper than what Apple charges... once again, Craigslist.

anixon92

Apr 10, 2009
why not just buy a new or used back cover off ebay and install it yourself.