Power button getting loose on iPhone 3G

Jul 15, 2007
The oval-shaped silver button on top of my iPhone is getting loose. If I shake the phone lightly I can hear a rattle and the button is a bit more recessed into the body of the phone than it used to be. Is anybody else having this problem? My friend had a 3G that he had to take back and get replaced because the button completely recessed into the phone. Is there a fix for this, or at least a way to prevent it if and when I get a new one?

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
The new firmware fix being released this Friday should fix it ;)

The fix is to take it back to the store and get it exchanged.

The oval-shaped silver button on top of my iPhone is getting loose. If I shake the phone lightly I can hear a rattle and the button is a bit more recessed into the body of the phone than it used to be. Is anybody else having this problem? My friend had a 3G that he had to take back and get replaced because the button completely recessed into the phone. Is there a fix for this, or at least a way to prevent it if and when I get a new one?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Read this recent thread. There have been other problems as yours and the phone was replaced as long as the loose button isn't the result of abuse. Also if the phone is jailbroke, restore as Apple frowns on this.:p

Last edited by a moderator:

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
You know what the funny thing is? I went into the Apple store the other day, a friend wanted to return his iPhone and buy a new one on his other CC. He gets a 2 year warranty if he buys the iPhone using that CC.

During the sale, the Apple guy had to call AT&T to sort out some account stuff. He used his iPhone and guess what? It was jailbroken. I made a joke about it and he admitted that everyone in the store had jailbroken their personal phones. Yet if a customer walks in with a jailbroken one, they would give them a hard time.

Read this recent thread. There have been other problems as yours and the phone was replaced as long as the loose button isn't the result of abuse. Also if the phone is jailbroke, restore as Apple frowns on this.:p

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
mine does the same thing... but it's my 4th replacement so I'm just going to live with it
Why?
I had my V1 phone replaced 4 times ( on my 5th now) due to battery issues before I got one that lasts. even with the 2.0.2 firmware, I still get a minimum of 6 hours of heavy usage outta it.
You should not compromise on ANYTHING that you buy new- especially when it costs a couple benjamins or more.

ijen0311

Sep 3, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
I know... my local Geniuses are a little snooty :) and I'm mostly afraid of getting one with MORE issues. But I think I will give it a try...

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Why?
I had my V1 phone replaced 4 times ( on my 5th now) due to battery issues before I got one that lasts. even with the 2.0.2 firmware, I still get a minimum of 6 hours of heavy usage outta it.
You should not compromise on ANYTHING that you buy new- especially when it costs a couple benjamins or more.
Beat me to the punch Hawk. I see too much of this on the forum. People accepting things that they really shouldn't. If you pay for a produce, you should expect that product to function as it is supposed to and not fall apart in a short period of time. And this is just not with Apple. I see it in everyday life where people "just accept it because it is too much trouble to return it."

ijen0311

Sep 3, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
Just left the Apple store - the posts inspired me to stop over! The Genius told me "that 2.1 should fix a lot of issues." When I said that obviously 2.1 wouldn't fix a physical flaw, he said no, but that they will not replace the phone until the button falls off. So I said it had to break first? and he said yes. I'm trying not to get too irritated but WOW.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Just left the Apple store - the posts inspired me to stop over! The Genius told me "that 2.1 should fix a lot of issues." When I said that obviously 2.1 wouldn't fix a physical flaw, he said no, but that they will not replace the phone until the button falls off. So I said it had to break first? and he said yes. I'm trying not to get too irritated but WOW.
Wanna bet that if you went to a different store that they would probably replace it?

hotaru

Jun 8, 2009
My power button fix

I just opened up the iPhone 3G (lots of tutorials on the Internet) and used a a thin piece of plastic to act as shim between the chrome oval button back and the actual button inside.

Button doesn't rattle anymore and works great now!