Power Slider Fried my phone

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Hey! I just want to share my experience with you on what happened with my Incase Power Slider.

I bought one and followed the directions and used it to charge my phone. The charging of the system only took three hours and it appeard to work fine. I charged my depleted phone on it and it was just heaven, except that the device and my phone heated up and got warm and then hot. When the charge was done, I took my phone off and used it as normal. The next day, my 3G would not work to save my life. I tested it and tested it. My husband's 3G was working and mine would not. I could not even get on the internet using WIFI. Nothing was working. No App store no iTunes, nothing.

So, I went home from work listening to my music not knowing what the friggin deal was. Okay fine, I got home and unplugged my earphones and did some home stuff and then went to make a call, so i plugged my earphones back in. As soon as the plug made contact with the headphone opening, the device emitted a spark. :eek: WTF! It was a small spark that i likened to maybe too much electricity in the air or something and I actually made my phone call. :eek: Stupid, but I think I was in denial because the spark was nothing to talk about. Kind of like a spark after running your feet over the carpet and touching your dog or your friend. So I thought nothng of it.

I didn't put two and two together blaming the Power Slider at all. At the time, it never dawned on me that the Power Slider had fried the inside of my phone, frying the 3G chip and rendering the phone useless, except for listening to music. I had no idea.

So the next day, the phone completely bugged out! It was not working properly at all. I got fed up and called Apple and I talked about all the things the phone was doing and then i casually mentioned the spark and I was instantly whisked away to someone else because the call now was escallated. They asked me a series of questions about buring and frying myself and if the phone was melted in some parts and this and that. The phone was not damaged and I didn't think that little spark was a big deal, but the rep did. He said its serious and I have to exchange the phone ASAP. He made an appointment for me that day and I went in and exchanged it. The Genius looked at the inside of the headphone jack and saw the white burns in there. They were there. I saw them too. He did some tests on the phone and told me that my 3G chip was fried. That is why it wasn't working. He then asked me some questions and I told him about the heat of the Power Slider. He suggested I do not use it anymore and return it to Apple for a full refund.

I went on line and did some research about the Power slider and found out that there have been many people who have complained about the heat and then they have had problems with their phone.

I would think that I had a faulty Power Slider, but that was my third Power Slider and my second phone. I am not going to go for a fourth or fifth Power Slider.

I just wanted to alert anyone out there who has used it and then their phone went buggy, there is a possibility that the Power Slider is the culprit.

I hate this because the Power Slider is a great concept, I just wished it worked.

ich0pz

Bronze
Nov 22, 2007
Sorry to hear that it fried your 3g chip! wow.. :O

So there are flaw's in this power slider... now i'm having second thoughts..

Feb 14, 2009
Great info! I was going to buy the power slider over the weekend but there are so many BAD reviews on this thing. I'm glad to save my $100 from a thread like this. Thanks and sorry to hear about the phone!

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Yeah, thanks for the condolenses for my phone. The poor thing didn't stand a chance! LOL!

It is pretty and all, but not worth the headache. I mean when the thing heats up that is a prime indicator that something is wrong. But Dummy me went along with it thinking this is probably the way it supposed to be. It certainly wasn't.

I think there must be some units out there that work well and people are happy with, After a few tries and a fried phone I have not found one.

I have read things where people said it worked great for a few days and then the unit just died.

They should go back to the drawing board on this one. I would love to see an improvement on it this summer for the release of the new iPhone.

Good luck to anyone who buys it and it works.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
Ditto on the thanks for the info. I was interested in the incase power slider until I started reading the problems people were having. I hope the mophie juicepac air doens't have similar problems.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Sorry about your problems, but I put almost as much blame here on Apple and their iPod dock design. There are entirely too many issues of fried docks, fried chips, and other ridiculous charging issues; more than any other phone or device I've used or read about. I think the dock protocol is just not robust enough... it's way too easy to get a small piece of something in there that will somehow short out pins and cause issues.

Hard to say what exactly caused your problem, but I'll bet it's a slight inconsistency with the way Incase made their dock connector, and if it's not 100% spot-on, you're bound to have issues.

I use a dock port cover whenever I can think about it. I just know if my V1 goes out, it's going to be a dock-related issue.

Jul 10, 2007
Just to make folks aware I am going to post this in the power slider threads...

I went to Best Buy today to exchange a Griffin case that was defective and was going to take a chance on the Incase Power Slider. They had reduced the price to $89.99 and were sold out. The manager checked to see when he would get more in and he stated that the computer indicated that these cases are now discontinued.

If true I guess there actually may have been some quality issues with the Powerslider.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Just to make folks aware I am going to post this in the power slider threads...

I went to Best Buy today to exchange a Griffin case that was defective and was going to take a chance on the Incase Power Slider. They had reduced the price to $89.99 and were sold out. The manager checked to see when he would get more in and he stated that the computer indicated that these cases are now discontinued.

If true I guess there actually may have been some quality issues with the Powerslider.
On the Incase site the Power Slider is listed as Currently Unavailable. I sent them an email I hope they get back to me. I hope they are going to fix the problem and come out with a kick ass Power Slider.

map1978

Bronze
Jan 21, 2009
Well somebody has to come out with something soon and thin looking. I hate watching my battery life on a daily basis and I'm a moderate user.

Dukeboy0169

Bronze
Jan 10, 2008
Wow. I purchased the Power Slider online from Apple about a week ago. Been using it with no problems/issues.

After reading what you good people are saying, I think I should get my money back while I still can.

I love incases sliders, so when I saw the power slider I had to have it.
This would be the first time I return a product based on other users recommendations. I haven't personally had any issues with it yet, but it doesn't sound like its worth taking the chance.

Ill be sure to update this thread if I decide to keep using the PS and it fries my 3G like an egg. :)

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Incase never got back to me. I checked their site earlier in the week and they are selling the Power Slider for $79.95. Huh, I wonder why that is.

I really liked the Power Slider. I hope their new attempt is a good one. I would love to take another crack at it, but I have been burned in the past so. I stay away.

Dukeboy0169:

You may have a good one. The experience I had was a bad one, but I am glad yours is working well for you. Just beware if and when it gets really really hot while charging your phone. That is the danger zone. When that happened to me I thought nothing of it until i learned that my 3G chip was fried and I knew that the Power Slider had done it when it heated up so unbelievably hot.

It is possible, and I hope this is the case, that many in the first batch of these Power Sliders were no good. I hope they are vastly improved now.

I may take a chance and buy one straight from Incase just to see. It is cheaper now. But on the other hand Mophie is coming out with the Juice pack air and they have a great track record, so I might just wait. I'll see.

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
Is it ok if mynphone gets warm on the back after an overnight charge or when I've been using it excessively?

CBRfanatic

Bronze
Feb 28, 2008
Bronx
i seem to have had a good one for a few months as well. i never charge them together though, i charge the power slider on its own and i charge the iPhone on its own, in the morning while getting ready for work i put the two together and i am off for the day without a worry in the world about battery power.