Power Support Crystal Film Set for iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

sloppyjoe

Jul 31, 2007
Just ordered the "Power Support Crystal Film Set for iPhone" from the Apple online store.

Anybody with this that can comment on the "feel" of the film? Is it similar to the glass or is it sticky? I'm wanting smooth, and not sticky...hope I made the right choice.

funkeruski

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
All I can say is take great care in applying it. I bought a set last week and ruined both. I have read that you should do it in a bathroom with the shower on hot to create steam to reduce the dust particles in the air which will attach to the film like a magnet when you peel off the back portion. I got dust under both of mine. And the crap about you being able to clean it is just that...crap. If you get dust on the portion that goes against the glass, just apply it and live with the dust under the screen, or throw it away. Mine felt good for the 30 seconds I had it on.

mogz

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
SF
I got it on mine and very happy with the result.

Feels like nothing is there, screen clarity is enhanced, and it is even smoother than the glass, makes touching feels a lot better. :)

ja_vo

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I got it on mine and very happy with the result.

Feels like nothing is there, screen clarity is enhanced, and it is even smoother than the glass, makes touching feels a lot better. :)
Same here i love mine. i cant ask for anything more from it. it does not feel like anything, it feels like your touching the screen.

Natural

iPhone69

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
South Florida
i really like the screen covers my only problem with them is they are a little pricy especially for 1 mistake, that's a $7.50 mistake you just made.but besides that downfall it is an amazing product.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I bought and love it! And I am not and have never been a screen protector kind of guy. My thoughts have always been that if the protector obscured the view of the screen--in any way--I'd rather risk scratches than use one.

Well I am happy to report that the Crystal film does not obscure my screen at all. If anything it's better than the naked screen, at least as far as fingerprints are concerned. I'd even say the screen "feels" better with the Crystal film on it (not too tacky, not too slick: just right, at least for me).

Before installing it I cleaned my screen with iKlear and made sure I was in a dust free area. It installed fine on the first try (don't think I would ever try re-applying it). While you do have to get it right the first time, at least once it's on it's on (no prolonged drying time, etc.). I did have a few bubbles, but they were easy to rub out. I couldn't get one small bubble remnant out, but it went away on its on by the next day.

I highly recommend this product.

I also have a Best Skins Ever on order. I'll be using it to cover most of the rest of my iPhone (won't be using it for the screen). I keep my iPhone in an Inase sleeve, so I'm hoping the BSE will keep it from getting scratches whilst in the sleeve.

--
Mike

beej

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Mine went on easily while sitting in the car in front of the Apple store. Just make sure the screen is clean first, and don't dawdle once you've removed the protector from the packaging. The Genius Bar dude told me to work out any bubbles with the edge of a credit card, but it went on bubble free.

The feel is different fron the naked screen; it's slightly less slick. I like it. Visually you can't tell it's there.

It's also worth noting that the protector seems to "hold" smudges more than the bare screen. They come off, it just takes a bit more work.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
If you live near an Apple store, have one of the employees apply it for you if you aren't comfortable doing it. Then if you have a lot of dust, they can break open another pack and start over.

I just did mine in the mall where I live. The best way is to not peel the whole protector off at once and then try to apply. Peel off about an inch, best to try the side with the home button hole first. Then with the inch or so exposed line up the hole. When you get it aligned, slowly peel back the backing while applying the rest of the protector and rub out any air pockets. Simple.

I got literally half a speck of dust that's no big deal. And I didn't even try to create a clean room to do it in.

These protectors are worth the money/ease of mind.

Frosty001

Aug 7, 2007
And the crap about you being able to clean it is just that...crap. If you get dust on the portion that goes against the glass, just apply it and live with the dust under the screen, or throw it away.
The crap about you being able to clean it is just... true. I hope you didn't throw yours away yet... because you can run your crystal films under some soapy water to clean off the dust, and reapply them after they dry.

They are dust magnets tho, that much is true. I had to use my can-o-air to blow off the water so the films don't have time to accumlate dust as they dry.

Do you really need a protective film for your iPhone? You can take a set of keys and run it over the front of the screen and it will not scratch- as proven by the guys at the Apple store where I bought my phone. If you cant even do that, then whats the point of protecting your screen with another layer? I might be missing something, so please tell me why you're doing it. Thanks- T

Eiko

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Good stuff, highly recommended. Easy install, can't tell it's there.
And it's expensive? Seriously, you just bought a $600 phone for Pete's sake! Sounds like someone that bought a Porsche and complains about gas prices :)

Fant

Sep 9, 2007
I saw in the Apple Store today that they actually have two kinds from Power Support. One is called crystal clear. The other looks the same but is called anti-glare. Anyone have any experience as to which is better?

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
I have bought 2 packs of this stuff and I have WASTED three just trying to get them on. I really don't understand how it is possible to install these without getting air bubbles and dust underneath. And they claim that the screens are removable and washable which is totally false. Honestly if you can get it on and you don't mind bubbles and dust underneath then go for it.

Fant

Sep 9, 2007
I'm not taking a chance on this. For $10 more i just ordered the bodyguardz which comes with 2 sets for both sides of the iPhone including solution and cleaning cloth and utube instructional video. Looks like a more complicated process but with better more reliable results.

z28black98

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I'm not taking a chance on this. For $10 more i just ordered the bodyguardz which comes with 2 sets for both sides of the iPhone including solution and cleaning cloth and utube instructional video. Looks like a more complicated process but with better more reliable results.

I went into the Apple store to buy these films for my iPhone and came across a nice case and holder made by power support as well. The clear case is great, the holder seems somewhat flimsy on the backside where it connects to your built, but no worries yet. It also came with a 1 film with the case and I have been using it since Sat. I have already taken it off once to clean with water and let it air dry. The best way to put them on is to start from the bottom by the home button, line it all up and take a credit card and get out all the bubbles as you slowly lay the film down, making sure the bubbles can escape. I tried this and it works perfectly, no bubbles, no smudges, nothing. To the person who said it couldnt be cleaned, I was in the bathroom less then 5 minutes total cleaning and putting it back on!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
The film that comes with Bodyguardz, BSE, etc. are nothing like Crystal film. Those films are very "rubbery" which makes them great for the body of the iPhone, as they improve grip. But on the screen? Not so great, as the stickiness makes the iPhone harder to use IMO.

Crystal film is not rubbery, and IMO actually improves the "feel" of the screen. Morover, it's thicker than the stuff used on the body. Has already protected my screen in a nasty fall on to jagged rocks--face down. The film was destroyed, and I really didn't see how the screen could have survived without--at the least--scratches or chips. But when I peeled the film off the screen was perfect. I'm not sure I would have been as fortunate had my screen been protected by that think stuff used for full body skins.

I use a BSE for the body, Crystal film for the screen, and an Incase rubber sleeve for the whole thing (the BSE prevents the sleeve from scratching the iPhone).

--
Mike

Fant

Sep 9, 2007
Are you speaking from experience with the bodyguardz for the iPhone? From what i've read, people say it makes it smoother. And since its 2 parts I would think the screen would be something very clear.