Pre-Orders Confirmed?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

brinox

Bronze
Apr 30, 2007
i think its a BS call... Apple has never done any kind of preorder for the general public, not has it allowed its resellers to do so.

just my $.02

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
i think its a BS call... Apple has never done any kind of preorder for the general public, not has it allowed its resellers to do so.

just my $.02
I thought that customers were able to preorder AppleTVs online. I wasn't really interested at the time so I don't know for sure. Can anyone confirm this?

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007

just my $.02
Actually they have.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/apr/12tiger.html

Visitors to the Apple Store® (www.apple.com) can pre-order copies of Tiger beginning today.
I'm calling BS on the prepaid though. I highly doubt that Apple and AT&T will make the iPhone available through the GoPhone program.

brinox

Bronze
Apr 30, 2007
Actually they have.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/apr/12tiger.html

I'm calling BS on the prepaid though. I highly doubt that Apple and AT&T will make the iPhone available through the GoPhone program.

o, woops - thanks for the corrections! I feel kinda dumb now :(

after thinking about preorders though i really think that it would be a bad market move for Apple, because they would increase the secondary market price before the imminent launch. people would price gouge like no other when reselling their preorders.

this is already happening on ebay as its been posted already on this forum... kinda ridiculous if you ask me.

going back to preorders with OSX, a slight difference between that type of preorder is the production is a lot LOT easier and less costly to ramp up before launch, whereas the iPhone is a piece of hardware (as opposed to software being burned onto a disc or discs) and quite sophisticated.

there is a set, or fairly set, number of handsets that will be available at launch and although that number is unknown, the fact of the matter is it is finite.

EDIT::

omg! 9th post! 1 more and i get a chance to win a free iPhone!

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
i really think that it would be a bad market move for Apple, because they would increase the secondary market price before the imminent launch. people would price gouge like no other when reselling their preorders.
why does the secondary market matter at all? if you can get a phone via Apple directly and without hassle of a 3rd party, only idiots would hit up ebay and pay over and above what the regular retail price would be.

there's a sucker born every minute sadly...

ProductProFresno

Bronze
Jun 7, 2007
why does the secondary market matter at all? if you can get a phone via Apple directly and without hassle of a 3rd party, only idiots would hit up ebay and pay over and above what the regular retail price would be.

Yeah, I really don't understand the after market on this. You'll pay through the nose on ebay, wait for it, and THEN have to go about setting it up. Hassle, and c'mon, WAY more money.
I guess we'll just have to wait to see how many units they have to sell, hopefully everyone that wants one will get one.

brinox

Bronze
Apr 30, 2007

Yeah, I really don't understand the after market on this. You'll pay through the nose on ebay, wait for it, and THEN have to go about setting it up. Hassle, and c'mon, WAY more money.
I guess we'll just have to wait to see how many units they have to sell, hopefully everyone that wants one will get one.
i for one will not be looking to buy anything at any kind of premium before launch day... so with that in mind:

i am mainly concerned to the buying population as a whole, and with that in mind people paying in upwards of a 50-100% premium simply for the peace of mind of a preorder is a waste of time for Apple, simply because of the unknowns that can spur stock price rise right before the launch of a massive product, such as our iPhone in 21 days... i just think its unwise on Apples part.

the less the market knows, the less of a strong market exists - which in turn allows Apple to make gains on its investments from its stock price going up.

either way, preorders completely take away from all the hype for this product if you ask me...

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
i for one will not be looking to buy anything at any kind of premium before launch day... so with that in mind:

i am mainly concerned to the buying population as a whole, and with that in mind people paying in upwards of a 50-100% premium simply for the peace of mind of a preorder is a waste of time for Apple, simply because of the unknowns that can spur stock price rise right before the launch of a massive product, such as our iPhone in 21 days... i just think its unwise on Apples part.

the less the market knows, the less of a strong market exists - which in turn allows Apple to make gains on its investments from its stock price going up.

either way, preorders completely take away from all the hype for this product if you ask me...
There's already been some discussion on the pre-paid iPhone plans. Someone leaked some documents that already included some possible scenarios.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Apple's hype machine has been in overdrive the last 6 months.

If Apple did the pre-order thing 6 months again, I can see your point... but people are about ready to order now. You can really only string people along on hype before they begin to lose interest.

Stock price has little to do with hype at this point... if the iPhone ends up bombing, Apple stock will plummet anyway. But either way—pre-order or not—the "hype" ends June 29.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Apple's hype machine has been in overdrive the last 6 months.

If Apple did the pre-order thing 6 months again, I can see your point... but people are about ready to order now. You can really only string people along on hype before they begin to lose interest.

Stock price has little to do with hype at this point... if the iPhone ends up bombing, Apple stock will plummet anyway. But either way—pre-order or not—the "hype" ends June 29.
True. It'll be put up or shut up time.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
If there are preorders im surethey will be online only. Oh ps colstiger I didn't know you went to hackmyiPhone I saw your name there while looking at those picture.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
If there are preorders im surethey will be online only. Oh ps colstiger I didn't know you went to hackmyiPhone I saw your name there while looking at those picture.
Yep. Two good friends of mine just started that up this week. It's really picking up members too. 600 in the first day.

Lots of excitement surrounding the upcoming release day. People are looking for information all over the net. They've got a long way to go before they'll be as busy as this place, but they're trying.