Predicted tablet - iSlate?

Apple4me

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I'd love to see an Apple "tablet". It "feels like" it's about time for Apple to release something revolutionary, and this might be just the time and the product. Probably 90% of what I do on my macbook could be done on a tablet like this. I lug my macbook with me all over the house/office all day just to browse the internet and to check/send emails, both of which could be done with a lightweight tablet. If the tablet were priced right ($500 range?), I would be the first in line to buy one :)

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I'd love to see an Apple "tablet". It "feels like" it's about time for Apple to release something revolutionary, and this might be just the time and the product. Probably 90% of what I do on my macbook could be done on a tablet like this. I lug my macbook with me all over the house/office all day just to browse the internet and to check/send emails, both of which could be done with a lightweight tablet. If the tablet were priced right ($500 range?), I would be the first in line to buy one :)
I agree, thats my rationale for wanting one. However, that price of 500 was uk pounds, so that would be around $800?

Apple4me

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I was thinking $500US and that might be a hard price point for Apple to hit given that the unsubsidized price of a 32gb iPhone 3Gs is $699US. I would think that the tablet MUST come in under $1,000US and the closer to $500US, the bigger the target market.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I'm looking forward to something in a similar style to the Archos media players. That's size is just about right. Obviously rammed with all the snow leopard goodies....

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, i don't think this is gonna happen. If it does, it will be priced way higher than a macbook so as not to cannibalize iPhone/touch or macbook sales.

That being said, i'd probably buy it. my only mobile computer right now is my iPhone.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
my only mobile computer right now is my iPhone.
Well that's the problem. The types of tasks this thing is looking to accomplish make it sound an awful lot more like a big iPhone than a svelt Macbook. Especially if it runs iPhone OSX. I don't think this one will be Apple's big hit.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Well that's the problem. The types of tasks this thing is looking to accomplish make it sound an awful lot more like a big iPhone than a svelt Macbook. Especially if it runs iPhone OSX. I don't think this one will be Apple's big hit.
exactly. i just don't see the point.

now, if they were to get rid of physical keyboards on macbooks in favor of a touchscreen (or two), that would be completely different.

Apple4me

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
exactly. now, if they were to get rid of physical keyboards on macbooks in favor of a touchscreen (or two), that would be completely different.
that would be sweeeet :) if i've learned one thing over the years about Apple, it's to expect the unexpected. i just hope that there really is a new product release in january and can't wait to see it.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I would probably go to the Apple Store to check out a new Tablet. I can't justify dropping money on it no matter how cool it is. I could basically do the same thing with my iPhone except for a larger screen.

Apple4me

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I'd love to see full-blown Snow Leopard OSX running on the tablet. And, if it had a USB port and a firewire port, I could replace my laptop with the tablet :004:drooling

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
It would have to be less than $1000 since it is just a giant iPod Touch and not many people would pay the same for an iSlate as they would for a MacBook. I'm just wondering how cheap can it get? $600? $500? I think that would be the target price considering iPod Touches are going for like $400 (64GB).

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
It will definitely have to go above what is currently offered on the Touch/iPhone I feel, in order to be an Apple success. Either way, it's exciting.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
As Dave suggested: What would you do with it? I mean beyond use it as a glorified ebook reader.

The whole idea of the iPhone/touch line is to have the world in your pocket. But the tablet? Have the whole world in a pouch slung across your shoulder? You wouldn't really be able to work on it in any real sense: there's no keyboard. And if you could, then it would completely undermine the point of the MacBook Air.

I'm calling shenanigans on this one. didn't happen last year, didn't happen the year before that, won't happen this year.