Predicted tablet - iSlate?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Honestly, I can definitely see it going either way. Apple could dfinitely want to force people to have an always-connected device like they do with the iPhone, but if they want to maximize sales, they may just make a mobile service optional.

Just depends on the spin, I guess.

But like I said, an additional $30 (at minimum) a month for data when you can do 90% of Internet activity on your ever-present iPhone just doesn't make sense.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Definitely agree with the data plan statements.. that would ruin it for me. I can't see myself needing to use it for internet access somewhere where there wouldn't be either a) WiFi or b) my iPhone.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
They really need to allow easy tethering with the iPhone. That would be a very smart move, even if it's limited to iSlate/iPhone connection only (and not just any computer, if AT&T isn't ready for that).

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I'd be extremely discourage from making the purchase if it required an additional data plan. Like everyone else has said, I can always use my phone if I really need to and I'm already paying $30 a month in data for it.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I'm beginning to get worried! There's more and more talk of the tablet using verizon or AT&T. I would be soo disappointed if a data plan was required to
get it. I would be more than happy to pay an unsubsidized price for this new toy. Does anyone actually think it's possible we'll have to buy this subsidized through a carrier?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I think it's extremely unlikely that a data plan will be required. Most people with smart phones are not willing to pay for two data plans.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I also believe that there will be no data plan requirement. Are there devices that currently require users to have a data plan? Just wondering, because I already have an unlimited data plan through AT&T because of the requirement when buying an iPhone. I am a firm believer that once you have purchased an unlimited data plan it should be open for you to use, not restricted. It should also be unlimited. Not unlimited as long as you don't go over so many MB. They had better be thinking of their primary user base and not turning their back to us! I would love to tether to the iPhone and be able to use the new device.

I am pretty much expecting to be disappointed.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I'd like to be able to run PdaNet through my phone and have the Tablet connected to the Internet.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Here's a thought I just had. Maybe the tablet will be sold like the phone. There will be subsidized and unsubsidized pricing where you pay more for it but don't have to have a data plan. Or you can pay a lesser price but be required to sign for the plan. Still though, if the unsubsidized price is at $1000 I'm afraid you have lost me. $700 is about my upper limit.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
If they make it $700 without a contract and, let's say, $400 with a contract, they might have a hit on their hands. But if they're going to require another data contract to get it for $700, I foresee problems getting this thing off the ground.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
If they make it $700 without a contract and, let's say, $400 with a contract, they might have a hit on their hands. But if they're going to require another data contract to get it for $700, I foresee problems getting this thing off the ground.
My thoughts exactly. You can get a MB for a Grand. If they both sold for the same price ............... Well, go figure.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I will not buy if you need data plan. I have an iPhone , I have a Macbook, the tablet was/is a novelty. But not for a monthly charge. Price around $700 sounds reasonable although a lot of tablets shown at CES were ino the $1000, so why wouldn't Apple's.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Price around $700 sounds reasonable although a lot of tablets shown at CES were ino the $1000, so why wouldn't Apple's.
Because hopefully Apple is smarter than the rest of the market. This category isn't anything new, so they better hit the nail with a very large hammer if they want to make their mark.