Predictive Text Comparison- 3.0 vs 2.2.1

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
A little bit of discussion in the hunt for new features thread inspired me to put this little test together. I used my 3G on 3.0 and my V1 on 2.2.1.

I used the words extraordinary, melanoma, represent, and practical.

On the top it will be the 2.2.1 & on the bottom it will be 3.0.

Extraordinary:

Melanoma:

Represent:

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Wow impressive. There you have it folks.

TAEWING59

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
3.0 Autocorrect seems a lot better. Seems like it takes more than 3 times to learn your words tho

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Nicely done Sav. I was texting earlier and two words of mine ran together and the prediction shocked me a bit.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Oh yeah, lol still corrects to LOL. It is still really annoying.
And the worst part about it is that no matter how many times you press the x to deny the correction it just will not learn that we do not want it in all caps. Now that we have mms, copy & paste, and almost all other features we have asked for, if this is our biggest problem then we have it pretty good, haha.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
And the worst part about it is that no matter how many times you press the x to deny the correction it just will not learn that we do not want it in all caps. Now that we have mms, copy & paste, and almost all other features we have asked for, if this is our biggest problem then we have it pretty good, haha.
Very valid point. I'm very, very satisfied with the 3.0 firmware thus far.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
How's the lag for you?
I'm a rather avid texted and the lag in Messaging causes me to go crazy. Sometimes there is absolutely no lag at all but then sometimes midway through texting the application practically stops. It takes 10 seconds per LETTER. It drives me insane. The worst part is that sometimes a reset works and other times it doesn't.

The rest of the phone seems to run perfectly fine with virtually no lag at all.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Very valid point. I'm very, very satisfied with the 3.0 firmware thus far.
Definitely satisfied with 3.0 so far. Especially with all the added features Apple did an amazing job with this beta. I have not had any problems like some who want to get back to 2.2.1, I don't think I could ever go back.

How's the lag for you?
I have some lag with the messaging keyboard, although I don't use the other keyboards as much or as fast like I do with the messages keyboard. This rarely happens and seems to work fine after closing and reopening the messaging app. Sometimes my experience is similar to Youngbinks' with messages but I am still loving 3.0.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I'm a rather avid texted and the lag in Messaging causes me to go crazy. Sometimes there is absolutely no lag at all but then sometimes midway through texting the application practically stops. It takes 10 seconds per LETTER. It drives me insane. The worst part is that sometimes a reset works and other times it doesn't.

The rest of the phone seems to run perfectly fine with virtually no lag at all.
That's my experience too. I've been using my Bold more, until 3.0 is less buggy. I'm hoping the next seed addresses some of the lag issues, and the battery drainage.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
That's my experience too. I've been using my Bold more, until 3.0 is less buggy. I'm hoping the next seed addresses some of the lag issues, and the battery drainage.
Dude the battery drainage has me seriously considering rolling back to 2.2.1. I have to fully charge my phone TWICE a day and then over night. It's ridiculous.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I noticed this with standby time..
I'm pretty sure that Apple has programs running in the background sending information back to them(crash reports, etc). This would use processing power making everything laggy and data making the battery drain a lot faster.