Predictive text question...

Deke736

Bronze
Jul 24, 2008
Near St. Louis, MO
From the videos that show the iPhone's capabilities they demonstrate that if you are typing an email the predictive text feature will suggest words that are frequently used, or proper names that are in your address book. My 8GB 3G that I recently exchanged never did that. It honestly never suggested any of the words I used most, especially proper names, or even my own name. I did have all of my contacts synced to the phone through the Microsoft Exchange email application, should that matter?

I am just used to a Windows based phone that seemed to learn and suggest frequently used words and names pretty quickly and I was looking forward to that feature in the iPhone (especially when I saw it demonstrated).

I should be getting my new 16GB today and I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Matt

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
To save a word onto the keyboard Dictionary, tap the word you typed. That way it would be used when predicting your typing.

Deke736

Bronze
Jul 24, 2008
Near St. Louis, MO
I will give that a try. I didn't realize that you had to actually tell it to save words.

What about proper names in my address book. Shouldn't it recognize those?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
What about proper names in my address book. Shouldn't it recognize those?
Yes, it should. Do you have the names in your contacts separated as Firstname/Lastname? Or do you have the full name in the firstname field? I'm guessing that could make a difference?

Try going to settings... general...reset... "reset keyboard dictionary". That might kick start things for you.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
To save a word onto the keyboard Dictionary, tap the word you typed. That way it would be used when predicting your typing.
Are you sure about this? The only way I know how to add a word to the dictionary is by canceling out the autocorrect suggestion 5 times. After that, it will stop suggesting alternatives.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Are you sure about this? The only way I know how to add a word to the dictionary is by canceling out the autocorrect suggestion 5 times. After that, it will stop suggesting alternatives.
That is my understanding as well although I thought the magic number was 3 times.

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
Me too. Till I tried it and it took more than 3 times :laugh2:

I .... think.... the magic number is 5
That doesn't seem to work for me...I use "amor" at least five times a day when testing my GF, and it still doesn't remember it even after I cancel it every time it comes up.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Dave, you are right. But selecting your word you type before pressing space will accept the word. Idk about the dictionary thing (read it somewhere, I think it might be wrong).

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I just tried it and it turns out the magic number is 4. When I attempted to type it on the fifth try it offered me my new word instead of the one it was previously trying to get me to accept.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
Four is a weird number to have chosen. Three makes sense. Five seems like a lot, but still feels like a natural choice. Four just seems... odd.

Anyway, Rob, thanks for figuring that out. :)

Deke736

Bronze
Jul 24, 2008
Near St. Louis, MO
Well I still am only getting contacts "suggested" 1 out of every 4 times. Even then I have typed the entire name and the suggestion I get is to capitalize the first letter in the name.

I am still thinking this issue is caused by my contacts coming through our Exchange server rather than actually having them on the phone.

I really wish I could figure this out. Any ideas?

galenmd

Aug 21, 2008
Hi guys. I couldn't find this posted elsewhere, so I thought I would put it in this thread first.

I want to add a number of medical words to the dictionary. Unfortunately, it won't let me even type some of the words! For example, I am trying to get it to learn "Spondylosis." The problem is that it won't ever let me type the "d". The only way I can write it, is to type "Spon" followed by either a space or any other incorrect letter, then erase this intentional mistake and continue to type "dylosis". Yet, no matter how many times I try to reject their suggestion or finish the word (using this method) it still won't let me type it straight out. What gives?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
WOW, that's terrible. I just tried it, and no matter HOW hard i tried, the keyboard would NOT let me type the "d" on the first pass. It would act like i was pressing the "S" instead (the "S" key would pop up and everything). Even if i held my finger on the kaypad, and slid it over every key, the "D" would never activate. I mean, i do have fat fingers, but this is not right... seems like a bug rather than a feature of the auto-correct.

i'm on a V1 w/ 2.0.2, btw.

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
Wow, I just tried it too and couldn't get it to work. I held my finger over the letter D, but it wouldn't register it, it would only let me type an S or an F.

Iceblinkluck

Bronze
Mar 30, 2007
Long Island NY
I just tried it and it turns out the magic number is 4. When I attempted to type it on the fifth try it offered me my new word instead of the one it was previously trying to get me to accept.
Are you doing this in a text? Do you just type the same word over and over again until it offers you the word you want? Or do you type the word you want 4 times throughout the day for example? A great app would be one that allowed you to directly add words to the iPhone dictionary...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Part of the "predictive text" feature of the iPhone includes dynamic strike area sizes. What this means is, as you type, certain letters will be deemed "worthless" so the surrounding letters get a larger "strike zone" as a result. This article explains it well:

http://www.mobilecomputermag.co.uk/...its-own-good.html?comment_id=1253&joscclean=1

The only way around it now is to type it incorrectly, then backspace and change it. I don't think it will ever enter into the custom dictionary this way, unfortunately. A known annoyance, for sure...