Preliminary iPhone 1.1.1 Jailbreak!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Well folks, looks like I (hopefully) was wrong about it taking months...

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/10/08/announcing-a-preliminary-iphone-1-1-1-jailbreak/

"The iPhone/iPod touch Dev guys have been hard at work for weeks and have finally managed to jailbreak 1.1.1. Right now, they're nowhere near releasing a general-use tool but the first steps have been made. Congratulations to dinopio, asap18, netkas, Martyn, mjc, Niacin, BloomFilter, pytey, tE_gU, pumpkin, roxfan, sam, SmileyDude, NerveGas, Nate True, Arminius, DirectriX, ixtli, kroo, zibri, xorl, and the rest of the team.

So what does this jailbreak mean?
* Third Party apps run. Kind of. We probably have to recompile many of them for the new frameworks because many of them crash.

* Springboard no longer recognizes DisplayOrder.plist. And the list of "whitelisted" apps (that is, the official Applications including Safari, Photos, Calendar, etc) seems to be hard-coded into Springboard.app

* The iPhone has been activated via third-party workarounds.

* The 1.1.1 binaries barely work with 1.0.2 -- at least not well enough to run the music store without major hacking.

* The Mobile Terminal App works on 1.1.1.

* The entire bsd suite still works -- as do standard command-line utilities compiled for ARM.

* 1.1.1 references both com.apple.mobile.radio and com.apple.mobile.nike.

* The jailbreak method is nowhere near ready for prime time. So please be patient.
Looks like things took off when Niacin came into the equation.

--
Mike

akophone

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Goes to show ya, you could never underestimate the Dev Team! I think they were getting tired of Twinkies and Diet Coke!

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Nice! Any word on how it was done...specifics I mean?

How do you get your info so quickly? I thought I was bored at work sometimes.:p

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Nice! Any word on how it was done...specifics I mean?

How do you get your info so quickly? I thought I was bored at work sometimes.:p
LOL. I keep the IRC channel open 24/7... sometimes there's interesting stuff there (usually not).

I also check in at hackint0sh regularly. I noticed right away that as soon as niacin came into the picture things picked up steam. I believe he was quite active in the PSP hacking scene.

--
Mike

spampy22

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
It seems like for ever since I lost my apps. Summerboard and customize here I come soon.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Excellent.
We'll probably [hopefully] have access again by next week.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Oh yes, I didn't follow all of the details, but I believe it was a matter of overcoming several challenges.

They at first could not get R/W access to the file system.

Then they were able to gain R/W access on one disk, but no execute privileges. On the other disk they had execute, but no R/W.

They couldn't easily get R/W using obvious means as 1.1.1 seems to have no shell (and bin is just about empty).

Regardless, they were able to get code to execute and apparently overcame the challenges listed above.

The break seems to have come from niacin, who seemingly got (usable) code execution to work just yesterday.

BTW: Looks like niacin has gotten nearly half the $1,000 he wanted, in order to buy new iPhones. Keep in mind these folks risk real bricking when they do this stuff, not the recoverable or semi-bricking that is so often mentioned when it comes to iPhones:
http://www.toc2rta.com/

--
Mike

brianhyp

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
great work! Cant wait to have apps working on 1.1.1! I knew it was going to happen because all the updates stopes so all of the best iPhone hackers could break the new firmware

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
This is great news but, of course, not unexpected. I'm looking forward to running 3rd party apps along with the iTunes WiFi and having (hopefully) higher volume(s). :)

JewelDiamond

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Great News! I will be glad to finally update to 1.1.1. I hope this works with ringtoner or ringtonemaker....