Premium App Store Alternatives

B-wing

Mar 15, 2009
Seattle
I've heard the rumor that Apple is considering a "Premium App Store" that would only carry apps above a certain price point. The intent seems to be to reduce the number of krapp apps and give the store a more professional look.
While I agree that something should be done to control the kr’apps that are cluttering up the App Store, I don't believe a premium store is the best solution. There are far too many good and useful free and inexpensive apps that would be forced to raise there price, and what is to keep expensive kr’apps out?
Why not just improve the sorting and filtering abilities of the current App Store? If you could filter out 'entertainment', 'lifestyle', and dare I say it 'games', you would end up with a much more "professional" looking store.
We can already sort by 'most recent' and 'most popular', how about the ability to sort by 'most used'? You know Apple must have the ability to track how much any particular app gets used.

And wouldn’t it be nice to be able to search just the App Store instead of the entire iTunes Store, Or maybe to choose to search for Apps & Podcasts only?
I just think a more customizable "one stop shopping" store would make more sense.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I agree with you. I think there should be a more streamlined way of searching for apps. I'm not sure a "premium section" would help that but it might clear the clutter out a bit. Also, who says that because an app is more expensive that it is necessarily better?

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I don't know what appstore you're looking at, but the one I have has "games," "entertainment," AND "lifestyle."
From what I've heard, the premium appstore is most likely going to be geared towards 'real' games to rival PSP and DS games.
All I know is that the premium appstore is synonymous for iwillnotbeusingthisappstore.