Preorder process for Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by Smarty2600, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

I'm probably going to preorder the iPhone 5S and I've never preordered before so I was wondering what the process is. I have heard that its best to preorder through Apple versus any carrier, is that true? But when I preorder is the iPhone all set up or do I need to take it to Apple or Verizon in order to set up my phone number on it?

Sent using iCafe app

#1 Smarty2600, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  2. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

I am in the UK so I don't know if it's different but I always pre-order through Apple. Although in the UK they are all Factory unlocked so no carrier stuff to go through. I always use the iPhone app to pre order as I can use express checkout. One click buying is useful when you need to get in there quick.

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Agreed. Preorder through Apple. If you try to preorder on or around release day, be prepared to stay at your computer for some time. Competition is fierce.

4. IllusionEntity

Gold

Express checkout. Apple store app. Last time it was 8am to pre order here. I placed my order instantly when the page refreshed and the orders were being processed.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've preordered online every year since 2009. Here's my advice: Preorder through Apple, do so right when they go on sale and use the Apple Store app on your iPhone. They sold out of the 16 GB models in 15 minutes last year and it the order page was stalling out on computers for lots of people. It went through without a hitch for most of us who purchased from the app. Make sure your credit card information is updated and current on Apple.com a couple days beforehand or that will slow down the process since you'll have to input it at the time of purchase.

6. IllusionEntity

Gold

Wasn't sure you could do this is the US. Great news!

+1

7. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I used the Apple store app on my iPad the split second ordering became available for the 5 last year. Took all of about 7 minutes. Definitely the way to go.

8. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the advice. Looks like ordering through the app is the way to go. But when the iPhone is shipped to my house how do I activate it so that my phone number is set up on it? Do I need to take it to Verizon or Apple?

And when ordering through the app you can put your carrier info in? Also do you put your Apple ID in when ordering, since @Europa mentioned having credit card information up to date.

Sent using iCafe app

9. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

I pre ordered the 5 through Verizon and It came out on a Friday and I had mine on Monday and all I had to do was activate it at home. It came with the SIM card in already. But they make you pay for it in full and you can't charge it to you're account. They also told me for the pre orders the call centers had extra staff and extra hours they were open just for the release.

I don't think the 5S is gonna be crazy IMO. Finding a 4S was very easy when I upped from the 4

Sent using iCafe app

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It will ask you for your iTunes ID, carrier and phone number before you order. It will then list a price based on your eligibility.

You can go to Apple.com and put your credit card in at any time. If you wait until when you're ordering it, it will slow down the process.

Connect to iTunes when you receive it and it will activate. Your old phone will show "no service" as soon as the new one activates.

11. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

Question? Can you also buy the new iPhone without a contract on Apple? By paying full price? I am going to be using Apple store gift cards, so I don't think I can use the app to order?

Sent using iCafe app

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Yes. but I don't think you can get one right away. I think they go up for sale a bit later. Someone can correct me if I'm mistaken.

13. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

I'd say your right generally a month or two later the unlocked version is available.

Can I activate the iPhone through iCloud, I don't have an iTunes backup because it runs terribly on my PC?

Sent using iCafe app

14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I didn't think the waiting period was that long, but I may be wrong. I thought it was more like a couple of weeks.

You can activate an iPhone over wifi or cellular, I believe.

15. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

I also believe if you wanna buy it outright you have to wait a little bit.

And for 650 too....how far away are you from an upgrade?

I have 3 lines staggered so I can get a new iPhone upgrade every year and flop my activations and my dad has a dumb phone so for my wife and I that's my buffer

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

16. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

Ughh not good! Thanks guys. I don't want to loose my unlimited.. I want it on release day :( & thank you Naps!

Sent using iCafe app

17. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

Now you're really gonna be mad. Verizon is making everyone lose their unlimited plans to convert to shared data. I had to do it with the 5 but I went with the 4gb and I comes out to be like 5 bucks more and we never come close to 3gb.

I think the only way to keep unlimited is pay full retail. But then you're paying 450 extra for the phone when even if it was 20 more a month for your data that's only 240 a year do you're still in the black

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

18. Mommy

Mommy Zealot
    Gold

Hi, yes that's what I'm
    Doing, full retail. I've got it all on Apple gift cards. I just don't want to give up my unlimited and also making a contract with them. They are getting ridiculous with there prices. But I'm
    Stuck because my other line has 1 more year to go.

Sent using iCafe app

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It wasn't available for a little over two months last year. If I remember correctly, it took even longer than that the year before.

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Is it for you? If so, you may not have to get an unlocked one. You're still with AT&T, right? If you aren't eligible for any subduction, you can just pay full price for an AT&T phone and it won't affect your eligibility date and it won't have a contract.