Prepaid AT&T charging me every 10mins!

gpmrn

Oct 25, 2007
My iPhone posts a message every 10 mins saying "This transaction cost you $0.01. Your remaining balance is..."
If I should calculate, that's $0.06/hour; $1.44/day; $43.20/month! Is this how prepaid cards work? Something's not right here.
I use my WIFI network at home and the internet at work. Thanks, geniuses!

xply

Oct 15, 2007
I received these messages when first putting my prepaid sim card into the iPhone. I was new at this and was wondering why they were charging me for doing nothing. These charges stem from data access. Even though one doesn't have a data access package, you can see from the settings > usage > EDGE Net work Data under Sent and Received that KB is still increasing everytime you open safari or perform any data access activity. It doesn't matter if a web page loads all the way or not. For some reason, you still are downloading something in the process.

What you need to do is truly disable EDGE Networking. USE THE LINK below for COMPLETE instructions:

access the file:

/var/root/Library/Preferences/com.apple.carrier.plist

and edit the settings within the file using WinSCP or any other SSH program with text editing capabilities. I don't think it works with "TextEdit" iPhone app though. You have to save the changes you make in the file through your computer. Remember to reboot after you save the changes. Seems to be working fine for me.

More complete directions:

http://limitededitioniphone.com/solution-for-edge-settings-not-saving-on-v111-iphone/

hope this helps. :D

gpmrn

Oct 25, 2007
Hmm...

Xply, thanks for the reply. that's sounds like a good advice. I'll give it a try.
my 2 problems:
1. I have FW 1.0.2
2. I have a mac, and I don't think I have SSH on my iPhone.

xply

Oct 15, 2007
no problem. Um... it should work on any firmware including your 1.0.2. Not sure how else to do it without SSH since you need that to modify the file in the iPhone. Maybe there might be another program that will allow you to access a particular file and edit it. As I said earlier, text edit doesn't save the changes to the file, or at least the last time i tried it. There are other programs that allow you to use SSH on a mac, though I'm not sure what their names are. Any program like WinSCP should work. Maybe some mac users can help you out on that. i think you can install SSH via the installer program. I think its name is "OpenSSH". But yes, i'm not sure if you could do it without SSH. I'm not familiar with any other way.

gpmrn

Oct 25, 2007
Thanks again

I can't wait to try it. Thanks for the advise again. I'll let you know what happens.