Preparing iPhone for exchange at Apple

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ChArLiE713

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Alright, I think you know me for doing something stupid like this:

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/t...into-a-bucket-of-water-with-epsom-salt.12232/
I got the phone working again, I don't know how but I did. The phone randomly shuts off and the power button doesn't work anymore and the only way to turn it on is to put it in a charger, pull it out, and put it back in. Also the camera doesn't work because when I press it, the phone shuts off. I am going to return it tomorrow and hopefully I get a dumb guy lol and gives me a new one free. But I had modded my phone, so before I would go, I am restoring it. I restored it and after it stays keep it connected to iTunes while it is restarting. It's been at the same screen for about 45 minutes. The screen is black with a red battery with barely any battery with a charging "thunderbolt" sign under it.

Is the restarting after the restore suppose to take this long and am I supposed to be at that screen? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

bfakhroo

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
i heard that there's a white thing placed somewhere in the iPhone that indicates whether the iPhone got wet or something. i remember seeing a post about this thing so if you find it would help you in such way. good luck

ChArLiE713

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
i heard that there's a white thing placed somewhere in the iPhone that indicates whether the iPhone got wet or something. i remember seeing a post about this thing so if you find it would help you in such way. good luck
yes, I know, I've seen it in the phone, but I'm looking for someone to answer these questions:
Is the restarting after the restore suppose to take this long and am I supposed to be at that screen? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

bfakhroo

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
yes, I know, I've seen it in the phone, but I'm looking for someone to answer these questions:
i'm running 1.0.2 and after restarting my phone (after restore) it didn't take long time. i'm sure someone here could help you. good luck

ChArLiE713

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
i'm running 1.0.2 and after restarting my phone (after restore) it didn't take long time. i'm sure someone here could help you. good luck
It didn't take long eh. It's been over an hour and that batteryl bar didn't even move a bit. When it was restarting after the restore, was your screen the way I explained it? Did you keep it connected to your computer or did you put it on the dock connected to an outlet?

bfakhroo

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
the screen you're talking about is the one with the yellow triangle?
i've done a restore about a month ago so i don't remember exactly, but i think that after you do a restore you should get the screen with the planet earth background where you have to activate or slide for emergency call.. but i can't remember exactly sorry. i hope someone could help you. i remember a guy posting something about his iPhone, that it fell in the toilet and the next day he took it to the Apple store and they gave him a new one (search for this post in this forum you should find it and i hope it'll help you)

ChArLiE713

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
the screen you're talking about is the one with the yellow triangle?
i've done a restore about a month ago so i don't remember exactly, but i think that after you do a restore you should get the screen with the planet earth background where you have to activate or slide for emergency call.. but i can't remember exactly sorry. i hope someone could help you. i remember a guy posting something about his iPhone, that it fell in the toilet and the next day he took it to the Apple store and they gave him a new one (search for this post in this forum you should find it and i hope it'll help you)
No it's the screen with a red battery with very little battery with a charging "thunderbolt" sign under it. This screen comes after the triangle, when a pop up comes on the computer screen saying keep it connected to iTunes until it is restarted. But it has been stuck on that battery screen for an hour and a half. I have a feeling it is not supposed to stay on that screen for too long, actually I think I'm not supposed to be on that screen.

bfakhroo

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
No it's the screen with a red battery with very little battery with a charging "thunderbolt" sign under it. This screen comes after the triangle, when a pop up comes on the computer screen saying keep it connected to iTunes until it is restarted. But it has been stuck on that battery screen for an hour and a half. I have a feeling it is not supposed to stay on that screen for too long, actually I think I'm not supposed to be on that screen.
i don't remember seeing a screen like that... try to PM a guy called "tinman" i'm sure he could help you

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Evidently you don't "really" have it working again. After being drowned, there's no telling what may be wrong with it.

ChArLiE713

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Actually, I got it working. My music was still there. My modifications were still there. The web pages I was last on was still there. The only thing that didn't work are the power button and the camera. But I really need someone to answer those questions in my 1st post.

ChArLiE713

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Alright, I let the battery die and put it back to the charger to see if anything changes. The red part of the battery showing doesn't even move after and hour. So what should I do? Also can someone answer the questions in my 1st post?

Jun 26, 2007
even if you get a dumb guy it probably wont matter
my bud works at Apple and there are listed steps to go through to check for damage like behind the counter
so you have to hope your guy is illiterate, otherwise your screwed

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
even if you get a dumb guy it probably wont matter
my bud works at Apple and there are listed steps to go through to check for damage like behind the counter
so you have to hope your guy is illiterate, otherwise your screwed
yes and from what I've heard you COULD get laughed at...;)

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Alright, I let the battery die and put it back to the charger to see if anything changes. The red part of the battery showing doesn't even move after and hour. So what should I do? Also can someone answer the questions in my 1st post?
I hate to say it, but it doesn't look good. Battery looks like it won't charge, among other problems.

I've had cellphones that survived immersion, but in those cases I always removed the battery immediately, followed by a "drying session." With the iPhone that is not possible (removing the battery). There are likely deposits left inside that are shorting something out.

The only options left, as I see it, are to take it in to Apple or try to disassemble it for a thorough cleaning, and possible battery replacement if needed.

--
Mike