Previously deleted emails returning to inbox?

HUNTER1

Bronze
May 28, 2009
Why would the emails that I erased from a while ago showed up again in my inbox and repeatedly showing up in my trash bin that I already erased then erased again? this is first time this happened. I synced it and turn it off and on again and hopefully that fixes it. Any idea? thanks
I also installed the latest iTunes version.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
That could be related to 3.0's "Mystery Mail Bug" which is reportedly fixed in 3.1.

Have you by chance used Spotlight lately?

--
Mike

HUNTER1

Bronze
May 28, 2009
Not sure what spotlight is, what is it? Do I have to upgrade to 3.1 or will iTunes tell me to update when I need to? I'm not really following updates, I only know when I see the latest upgrade or install on iTunes. Just like this morning, I synced the phone and there something to install, so I did. They are safari 4, mobile me and QuickTime, something like that. Don't even know what they are. Anyway, should I install 3.1 and what do I need to do to install it. Sorry for the long story, I'm still trying to figure this phone.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Spotlight is the search funtion of the iPhone, when you slide to the right from the first page of the home screen.

As for updating to 3.1, yes you will be notified, just like before. Go ahead an update. I don't think you are into hacking the iPhone, and that would be the only reason to wait.

--
Mike

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Yes upgrade to 3.1 when it's available. It could be a couple more week as it isn't ready yet. Spotlight is a really cool search program on the phone. It allows you to find stuff so much faster such as contacts, email, appointments, or applications (especially for people with 7-11 pages of apps).

HUNTER1

Bronze
May 28, 2009
Last time I use that searh function when I first got the phone, a month ago. The 3.1 should be in iTunes for upgrade when it's available, right? And No, I'm not into hacking yet.
If my emails continue to reappear I will try to restore, would that be a good idea?
I also remember it was the iTunes 8.2 version that I installed this morning.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
iTunes 8.2.1 was just released, so that's what you probably installed. Doesn't do all that much aside from killing Palm Pre syncing.

And, yes, iPhone 3.1 will be rolled out via iTunes, and you'll be notified within iTunes about it.

Plus, when 3.1 is released it will be all over this forum--you won't be able to miss it. ;)

--
Mike

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
iTunes 8.2.1 was just released? Is this the .23 version or is there a later one i need to install?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
iTunes 8.2.1 was just released? Is this the .23 version or is there a later one i need to install?
Yes, 8.2.1 was just released. iTunes 8.2.0.23 is the prior version.

But 8.2.1 doesn't seem to add anything of substance, at least for the iPhone. It seems to be geared to stop non-Apple devices from using iTunes.

--
Mike

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
It was released yesterday; here are the details:

MacRumors Wed., July 15, 02:13 PM EST Written by Eric Slivka

Earlier today, Apple released iTunes 8.2.1, describing the update only as providing "a number of important bug fixes and addresses an issue with verification of Apple devices." The notice regarding device verification has led to speculation that the update breaks the ability for the Palm Pre to sync directly with iTunes.

According to a posting at PreCentral and a report in our own forums, this is indeed the case, signaling the latest salvo in the ongoing dispute between Apple and Palm, which has hired a number of former Apple employees in recent years as it attempts to outdo the iPhone.
At least on this Mac, iTunes sync isn't working after the 8.2.1 update. We were wondering if this day would come after the back and forth between Apple and Palm on the issue. It's as-yet unclear exactly what method Apple is using to block Pre sync, but we suspect is wasn't easy. ...Which means we also suspect it might not be easy for Palm to turn it back on.​

Update: Apple has officially confirmed that it has disabled the ability of devices pretending to be iPods to sync with iTunes.
"iTunes 8.2.1 is a free software update that provides a number of important bug fixes," says Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris. "It also disables devices falsely pretending to be iPods, including the Palm Pre. As we've said before, newer versions of Apple's iTunes software may no longer provide syncing functionality with unsupported digital media players."​

Palm's response has been to encourage users to use iTunes 8.2 without upgrading to 8.2.1. Palm will apparently also consider other options for syncing music to the Pre.
Just got a statement from Palm spokeswoman Lynn Fox. "Palm's media sync works with iTunes 8.2. If Apple chooses to disable media sync in iTunes, it will be a direct blow to their users who will be deprived of a seamless synchronization experience. However, people will have options. They can stay with the iTunes version that works to sync their music on their Pre, they can transfer the music via USB, and there are other third-party applications we can consider."​

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Thanks, ill update in a few days I think after some feedback has been given :)

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
On a sidenote, now this has happened how does the pre sync?

HUNTER1

Bronze
May 28, 2009
Very informative. I should start reading this stuff.

So, Palm stuff aside.....

This email problem is driving me crazy! It is also randomly pushing mail to my phone (even though I have Push turned off and Fetch set to Manual).

Mine is doing this same "boomerang email" thing too. Long-deleted emails returning as new, unread messages in my inbox.

Is there any type of temporary fix for this before a firmware upgrade? And is this just happening to all 3GS users, or just a few lucky ones? :sneaky:

RRlocoENGR

Bronze
Jun 15, 2009
This email problem is driving me crazy!
Is there any type of temporary fix for this before a firmware upgrade? And is this just happening to all 3GS users, or just a few lucky ones? :sneaky:
I don't have quite the same problem with email that you are having, but I do have an issue that makes me nuts! Maybe someone can answer both of our questions.

I use Microsoft Outlook on my desktop and laptop, my email server is Cox Cable.

When I read email retrieved by my 3GS and delete it, I would like to go home and not find that same email still on my server. I have my iPhone settings such that the mail is supposed to be deleted from the server when I remove it from the inbox. I thought that would cause it to be removed from the Cox server. Why is it not deleted from the Cox server when it goes to the phone's inbox and I read and delete it?

I can read mail on the phone and then go home and find the same mail still on the server like it has never been read.?

Is that what the setting on the iPhone is supposed to do? I am talking about under advanced mail settings where you have the option to delete from server, when removed from inbox.:(

When my Outlook retrieves mail from the server is deleted from Cox and I would like for my iPhone to do the same.

I don't have quite the same problem with email that you are having, but I do have an issue that makes me nuts! Maybe someone can answer both of our questions.

I use Microsoft Outlook on my desktop and laptop, my email server is Cox Cable.

When I read email retrieved by my 3GS and delete it, I would like to go home and not find that same email still on my server. I have my iPhone settings such that the mail is supposed to be deleted from the server when I remove it from the inbox. I thought that would cause it to be removed from the Cox server. Why is it not deleted from the Cox server when it goes to the phone's inbox and I read and delete it?

I can read mail on the phone and then go home and find the same mail still on the server like it has never been read.?

Is that what the setting on the iPhone is supposed to do? I am talking about under advanced mail settings where you have the option to delete from server, when removed from inbox.:(

When my Outlook retrieves mail from the server is deleted from Cox and I would like for my iPhone to do the same.
Yes, that setting on the iPhone should prevent exactly the problem you describe. It's pretty interesting that we're experiencing essentially the same problem in reverse. I called Apple Support about this and the support technician said he'd never heard of this problem (which means he's either uninformed or I was actually the first customer to call about the issue...which I doubt I was).

I hope the update will fix this.

RRlocoENGR

Bronze
Jun 15, 2009
It's pretty interesting that we're experiencing essentially the same problem in reverse. I called Apple Support about this and the support technician said he'd never heard of this problem (which means he's either uninformed or I was actually the first customer to call about the issue...which I doubt I was).

I hope the update will fix this.
Now that I have gone back and read again your problem, I can recall a time or two that I experienced the same thing you did. I had my phone set up for manual fetch and it was still retrieving mail from my server. Just about the time I was getting frustrated about it, it stopped doing it. I wrote if off as a lag in the time between when I changed the settings to when it actually obeyed!

I think all of this is sometimes more difficult than dealing with the women in our lives...YIKES! Maybe I'd better be happy my problems right now are with the phone! LOL!

I should sign off, nuff said tonight!