Pricing "rumors"

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Look at the MacBook Pro, Apples top of the line notebook computer, the MacBook Pro is a very high quality computer. Two weeks ago when I decided to purchase a new MacBook Pro, I compared it to the equivalent on the PC side of the notebook sector, the Lenovo ThinkPad. I compared them based on equal specs. Same processor and speed, same amount of memory, same hard drive capacity and rpm, same video card, same display, everything in the key areas that affect cost was the same. Bottom line? The MacBook Pro was priced over $700 more than the ThinkPad. Now that proves that Apple charges a premium for their products. The MacBook Pro was thousands of dollars. Far more than an iPhone and hardly as innovative. I wanted one so I bought it, just like the tens of thousands before me. If I was unwilling to pay the premium I would not complain, I would simply buy the ThinkPad. However I was happy to pay the premium.
me from another thread said:
Not doubting, but I'm having a hard time finding a Thinkpad that has similar specs to a MBP. Can you point me to the model and specs you are comparing? For what Apple offers in the MBP the price is not bad at all. I think this applies to the argument that the iPhone might be high-priced just because it has an Apple on it; an outdated argument.
Hoping you can shed some light on this purchase. When we purchased the "Best" option for the PowerBook for $3500 I might have agreed with this statement, but I just don't see those differences anymore, especially when you consider the design, attention to detail, complete experience, and other intangibles that Apple brings to its products.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I heard this a while back. From (611) Cingular/AT&Ts Help personnel.

Last edited by a moderator:

archer6

Bronze
May 15, 2007
you're not getting it.
My, this is being taken quite personally………….

SO... Are you're saying you're not going to buy one if they price it at $600 and everyone has one and it doesn't seem like such a High end luxury item?
Seems like there are some very sensitive people on this forum…….

Hoping you can shed some light on this purchase.
At this point, it’s actually getting comical………..

I must admit that I did not realize that I had the power to upset you three so badly.………sorry boys

juju2682

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Champaign,IL
My, this is being taken quite personally………….

Seems like there are some very sensitive people on this forum…….

I must admit that I did not realize that I had the power to upset you three so badly.………sorry boys
I'm not upset,I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from man.
ITS A FORUM.I thought that this what this site was for. What's comical is you can't answer the question I asked. PEACE

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
please, don't flatter yourself...you do enough of that already.

i could really care less about your existence, and i'm sure you could care less about mine.

i'm here on a board to get as much information about the iPhone as possible and share the excitement with others.

your opinions re: exclusivity and pricing on the iPhone have been met with opposition by other's opinions. it's nothing more, nothing less.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
joe said:
Hoping you can shed some light on this purchase.

What are you talking about? I made a simple request, like I did in the other thread, for more info which you still haven't answered. I'm really curious since I try to stay on top of those types of issues. I think you are taking this a little too personally; it's not about you. When you make bold claims and talk about yourself you're bound to get some responses. Some might consider this trolling.

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
While there are some that will pay $750 for the iPhone, it will not nearly be as successful as a $500/$600 iPhone. Apple is not positioning itself or the iPhone as a luxury product but whether as a mass consumer product. They are targeting 1% of the market share, not the luxury market. Granted $600 is still a high price of admission but it all depends on your perspective.

thepepes

May 20, 2007
NY
While there are some that will pay $750 for the iPhone, it will not nearly be as successful as a $500/$600 iPhone. Apple is not positioning itself or the iPhone as a luxury product but whether as a mass consumer product. They are targeting 1% of the market share, not the luxury market. Granted $600 is still a high price of admission but it all depends on your perspective.
I agree. The iPod certainly is not exclusive at all. EVERYONE has one. This being said, it hasn't lost its appeal, like the RAZR has. I think Apple should get props for that! haha In fact, I think as they made more and more models of the iPod the price went down, so that everyone could afford one (iPod, iPod mini/nano, down to the very very affordable iPod Shuffle).

The thing about luxury items is that they're not really that great. The MAIN reason they're coveted is because of their exclusivity - which is found only in their LABEL. (Think Mean Girls... everyone wanted to be like the queen bee Regina George, but everyone also hated her - and she really wasn't worth the status based her "quality"). I know luxury very well. The Miu Miu Coffer bag? Louis Vuitton monogram bags? Ok they're cute... but doesn't it say something if there are knock-offs of those handbags made that are SO similar to the originals that the actual stores that sell the real ones have trouble telling them apart?

The Apple label is not a "designer" or "luxury" label, thus nothing Apple makes can really be considered of that category. Personally, I think that makes Apple more credible because it's popularity and "covetedness" is based solely on it's innovativeness and its quality. It really IS the best... it doesn't need a label, which is really the only thing that makes something a luxury item (like cars for example ;))

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Luxury and exclusiveness doesn't always equal good and functional. Look at the B&O Serene or the RAZR D&G Gold Edition.

Arrakis

Bronze
May 30, 2007
One thing, (as posted in a previous topic). How much will it be if you are already a existing member that doesn't need to re-new the contract. As shown on the Keynote it said, $499 for a 4G(with 2-year contract). I hope it isn't more, because it's already expensive to begin with.

Also will there be "charges" for stuff like text, internet, etc. We already have to pay for text and net service. So to go on Safari will we have to pay a monthly fee,or to send an email , same with google earth, (texting i can understand a cost). And what about usage of the phone, will that cost more than a normal payment?:(

If anyone has any Opinion or any information, please reply.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
One thing, (as posted in a previous topic). How much will it be if you are already a existing member that doesn't need to re-new the contract. As shown on the Keynote it said, $499 for a 4G(with 2-year contract). I hope it isn't more, because it's already expensive to begin with.

Also will there be "charges" for stuff like text, internet, etc. We already have to pay for text and net service. So to go on Safari will we have to pay a monthly fee,or to send an email , same with google earth, (texting i can understand a cost). And what about usage of the phone, will that cost more than a normal payment?:(

If anyone has any Opinion or any information, please reply.
Thanks

Nobody knows any plan details yet, but most likely there will be a required data plan to get an iPHone. That plan might range from $19.99 - $39.99 each month. Stay tuned.

smilly1010

May 30, 2007
Yes I believe you are, because as noted earlier, Apple does not gain from the contract. Only AT&T, that's where they make their money.

Everyone else that buys a phone from AT&T signs a 2 year contract. So that's nothing special. Even people that get free phones sign 2 year deals.

Apple makes their money off the iPhone itself.

So if we look at every Apple product, like iPod, MacBook Pro, etc , none of those are discounted from Apple, they are all sold at full retail. That's only fair.

Then there is one more consideration, and that is the millions of dollars Apple has in research and development of the iPhone. They cannot afford to give these away and lose money.

Again, look at what the other high end phones a currently selling for and you will see that the iPhone at $749. is a real bargain. A savings of $200 compared to the competition.

What more could we ask for? The best phone and the lowest price of the new crop of high end phones..................:laugh2:
Forgive me if my question is too simplistic but can you sign this two-year contract if you're currently a cingular customer and your contract hasn't expired yet?

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
Forgive me if my question is too simplistic but can you sign this two-year contract if you're currently a cingular customer and your contract hasn't expired yet?
that my friend is the million dollar question.

anytime you modify your plan (add minutes, text, data) your plan automatically restarts at zero for a 2 year contract. this is one of the industry's dirty little secrets.

i was planning on going in, buying an iPhone @ $600, upgrading my plan to match the iPhone's requirements, thus restarting my 2 year plan on that date.

i'm hoping that's still the case.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
yeh, no one knows any specifics for sure yet.

A "required" data plan may or may not be necessary... I'm hoping towards "not." $20/month is a good chunk of change I'd rather not spend for as slow as 2.5G is. I really plan on using the phone/iPod more than the Internet part myself (and when I use the Internet, it'll be via wi-fi).

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
archer6 makes some good points about Apple's value beyond simple functionality. Design, esthetics, and innovation are hard to put a dollar value on. I personally disagree with the exclusivity argument, since Apple's entire marketing ethos since the first iMac has been very populist; the computer for everyman. The Get A Mac ad series is a perfect example, even down to the way they dress Justin Long (Mac) compared to John Hodgman (PC).

At any rate, everybody needs to chill or this thread will be locked. Argue the point and not the person.

-K

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
archer6 makes some good points about Apple's value beyond simple functionality. Design, esthetics, and innovation are hard to put a dollar value on. I personally disagree with the exclusivity argument, since Apple's entire marketing ethos since the first iMac has been very populist; the computer for everyman. The Get A Mac ad series is a perfect example, even down to the way they dress Justin Long (Mac) compared to John Hodgman (PC).

At any rate, everybody needs to chill or this thread will be locked. Argue the point and not the person.

-K
I thought it was getting a little testy in here yesterday too. It sounds like Cingular is going to allow everyone to buy (whether they're due for an upgrade or not) at the $499/$599 price. It they don't I will be very surprised. I can't seem them allowing new customers an opportunity to buy the new iPhone at one price and charge faithful customers another.

narniaexpert

May 31, 2007
I read that it would be $200 with a 2 year AT&T contract. I wonder what the discount if any will actually be if anything.

mav

Bronze
May 9, 2007
It has already been announced that it will be $499 (4GB) and $599 (8GB) with a 2 year contract. Where it gets ambiguous is if this pricing applies only to new AT&T customers or across the board for everyone including new and current.

kb2003

Apr 2, 2007
anytime you modify your plan (add minutes, text, data) your plan automatically restarts at zero for a 2 year contract. this is one of the industry's dirty little secrets.

i was planning on going in, buying an iPhone @ $600, upgrading my plan to match the iPhone's requirements, thus restarting my 2 year plan on that date.

i'm hoping that's still the case.

Actually, I think that automatic contract restart may only be for when you change your core voice plan (i.e. number of minutes). My contract ended almost a year ago and I recently added an additional text package to my voice plan without any long-term agreement.

It would be pretty b*tchin if I could get an iPhone, add a data plan and stay month-to-month instead of signing another 2-year. I can't see why they wouldn't do that if they're going to allow pre-paid service on iPhones.