Pricing?

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Hopefully there will be a deal for existing cingular customers. That would really be a kick in the teeth if they make you add 2 more years. From the Apple storeS that I called they said that they have no idea at the time, however they definatly WILL be selling them at the Applestores. Whether or not you then bring it to a cingular store to be activated is another story.

beley

Bronze
Apr 2, 2007
Well, there are 2 ways it can go. They can leave the price the same, or offer some kind of subsidy for signing a contract. They said they were not going to change the price of the phone and if they stick to their guns, I think Cingular will offer some other concession like free data plan with 2 year contract... which would definitely be worth it (they can run $40/month)

Mar 27, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Good day to us all,

Thanks for the link. If this is true, indeed, it would be great news! I would love to have a heavier wallet after getting an iPhone. I don't know if it will help, but I am keeping my fingers crossed. :laugh2:

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
Good day to us all,

Thanks for the link. If this is true, indeed, it would be great news! I would love to have a heavier wallet after getting an iPhone. I don't know if it will help, but I am keeping my fingers crossed. :laugh2:
I am hoping Cingular will make existing customer a sweet deal but I will buy the phone regardless.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
I just read an article yesterday about analysts raising their estimations of how many iPhones Apple is expected to sell in 2007. At first they were saying 4 million. Now they are putting the number closer to 6 or 8 million.

Point being, I don't think they are going to need to offer anything extra to anyone. I think the demand is going to be such that this product will command top dollar.

Bootlessjam

Bronze
Apr 15, 2007
clarification

Hi I was just wondering about the price Apple said in the keynote. They said it would cost $499 (AUS$610) for a 2 year contract.

I'm not sure how phones in the US are sold but here in Australia a phone is usually advertised as $0 but you have to pay something like $20 a month; which comes with free calls/free txt/free something every month to make it seem worth it. Also the phone remains their property until the contract ends.

When you pay the $499 do you own the phone or do you still have to pay $20 a month?

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
Hi I was just wondering about the price Apple said in the keynote. They said it would cost $499 (AUS$610) for a 2 year contract.

I'm not sure how phones in the US are sold but here in Australia a phone is usually advertised as $0 but you have to pay something like $20 a month; which comes with free calls/free txt/free something every month to make it seem worth it. Also the phone remains their property until the contract ends.

When you pay the $499 do you own the phone or do you still have to pay $20 a month?
After paying $499 you will own the phone, your monthy fees are based on which calling plan you choose and you will have to sign a one or usually two year contract but the phone belongs to you.

Dre180

Bronze
Apr 16, 2007
New York (Soon to be Chicago)
i co-sign on that...

from what i was told from numerous reps for cingular, you will be able to buy the phone outright for the $500/600 price. i'm pretty sure they will discount the phone if you buy it with a 2 year plan. that being said i'm already in a 2 year contract, and i highly doubt they'd tack on an additional 2 years to my plan, that would just be ridiculous. cingular always let's you buy any phone outright if you want, and i don't see why it would be any different with the iPhone.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US

itsabouttime is correct; $499 (or $599) buys you the iPhone. Calling/data plan monthly costs are separate. I don't know what the pricing schedule will loook like when the iPhone is launched down under. I could be that they'll model it similar to what you're used to, but I doubt it.

What you're describing sounds more like a prepaid plan, also available in the States with some phones & providers.

-K

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
from what i was told from numerous reps for cingular, you will be able to buy the phone outright for the $500/600 price. i'm pretty sure they will discount the phone if you buy it with a 2 year plan. that being said i'm already in a 2 year contract, and i highly doubt they'd tack on an additional 2 years to my plan, that would just be ridiculous. cingular always let's you buy any phone outright if you want, and i don't see why it would be any different with the iPhone.
yeah man...its funny, june is when my current contract ends and i was told that i'm due for an upgrd...so it will be just in time for the iPhone...i do hope i get SOME kind of incentive, discount, somethn!...

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
that being said i'm already in a 2 year contract, and i highly doubt they'd tack on an additional 2 years to my plan, that would just be ridiculous.
That it would. If they're anything like Verizon, your 2 year contract date will reset from the time you purchase an upgraded phone.

-K

Mar 20, 2007
rebates!?!

Numerous Apple rumor sites (check your favorite) are reporting today that a tech analyst has cited a source claiming that AT&T will be offering $50 - $150 rebates on the iPhone at/near launch to entice customers into longer contract obligations. These rebates would effectively cut the $499 and $599 MSRP, and attract a larger customer base at the same time that AT&T locks in for longer guaranteed contract revenues. Smart little buggers. Let's hope this one is true...

ahactor

Bronze
Apr 4, 2007
Hickland, OH
Yes, I was just going to ask about this. I would assume that Cingular would indeed put a lower price on it. I was just looking on-line, and when the Blackberry 8800 came out for Cingular at $500-ish (comparable to the iPhone's price) after a two-year contract it was cut down to $350-ish. This happens with most of their phones, so I would naturally assume that they will do it with the iPhone, considering the already huge fan-base.

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
Numerous Apple rumor sites (check your favorite) are reporting today that a tech analyst has cited a source claiming that AT&T will be offering $50 - $150 rebates on the iPhone at/near launch to entice customers into longer contract obligations. These rebates would effectively cut the $499 and $599 MSRP, and attract a larger customer base at the same time that AT&T locks in for longer guaranteed contract revenues. Smart little buggers. Let's hope this one is true...
that would be ideal...:laugh2: