Print n Share or Print n Lie?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by smudgeyjoe, Aug 5, 2010.

1. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member
    Bronze

I have sort of forgotten about this issue since April, but decided to reinvestigate. I have been waiting for Print Magic to add my wireless printer, Canon Pixma 560, but I am afraid Dennis Rodman will become the President before my printer is added. Eurosmartz says they can print directly from iPad to almost all wireless printers, yet the last 15 user reviewers say it absolutely doesn't work. What is the truth? Is there a print software that prints directly from iPad to printer, or is it still essentially emailing it from my iPad to my iMac in order to print? Thanks for your insights.

2. jsntrenkler

jsntrenkler Zealot
    Silver

Print n Share works fine for me ... I have not had any issues at all with it, I do however have a HP Printer.

3. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member
    Bronze

I didn't mean for this post to be an indictment of Eurosmartz, just a reflection of my confusion over what is reality in terms of iPad printing. As I am sure most of you have, I have already had my share of 1 day apps that I have purchased. Posters haven't said much about iPad printing recently, so I figured it meant 1 of 2 things, either people had given up and were biding time until a truly obvious solution appears, or the solution already occurred and senior citizen me missed it. Before I buy another print app, I just wanted to test the waters of print reality, since I am a very poor swimmer. Thanks for your forbearance with an old bald guy who likes corn dogs.

4. Skb2000

Skb2000 Evangelist
    Gold

Hey, we like old bald guys here.. just check Nap's toilet thread ;)

As for an app.. I am trying to decide if I need an other printer. I don't think I can send anything directly to my Epson. I am looking into an HP but don't really need it. Really waiting for hubbies old Canon to drop dead. Only printer I kn.ow that has lasted 4 years. I never had one that lasted more than 2

5. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot
    Gold

I've been printing from the iPad since launch day to my Brother all in one laser but I have no control over margins or any formatting except for choosing between a few fonts. So yes I print but only stuff to be tossed. I don't think you can print anything to be given to the boss or teacher so for anything like that you still have to email it to a computer of some type. Like you, I would have thought that a great printing solution would have been offered by now!

Somebody make an app for printing with all the bells and whistles including formatting. It's over wifi so the web site could have whatever driver package or whatever to connect to most any printer and it seems like the app could be made to communicate with the wireless printer within a matter of seconds!

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

[​IMG]

7. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member
    Bronze

A Day Later

I decided to go ahead with Print n Share. It wasn't terribly expensive, $8.99, and then I could come to an educated conclusion. It took a little tweaking, but it printed the test document very well. That moved me on to my real need, printing Pages documents, since that is really the only thing I need to print. I feared what I expected the answer from tech support to be, that I can only do it by e-mailing it to myself, which I could already do without Print n Share. Here is Eurosmartz reply:

Many Apps have like Documents to Go have the "Open in" feature which means it is quick and easy to open documents and print them (http://is.gd/dwLdP). Apple have added this for Mail, but not Pages/Numbers/Keynote. When they add this feature, printing from Pages/Numbers/Keynote will be easier. We can not change the Pages/Numbers/Keynote app to support this.

Yep, back to square one!

8. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member
    Bronze

It sounds like the ball is mostly in Apple's court, or mine. When I look at this logically, until Pages has a Print function built into it, I will never be able to print documents directly, regardless of the availability of compatible print apps. I know that is mostly an issue for me of extending the iPad to be more computerlike. I can e-mail it to myself to print. I would just like to be able to finish a document and immediately print it.

9. Skb2000

Skb2000 Evangelist
    Gold

I thought HP has or will have some printers that use wifi and you can send directly to them?

10. jsntrenkler

jsntrenkler Zealot
    Silver

My printer has WIFI .. All my computers can send directly to it .. I use print and share for the ipad to print to it .. Works great.

11. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot
    Gold

But you have no formatting options do you?

12. sracer

sracer Member
    Bronze

There is never going to be a generally viable printing solution for the iPad that doesn't involve a computer of some sort. Consumer printers these days have virtually no "smarts" in them at all... all of the "brains" are in the print drivers. Even many printers that used to have onboard postcript processing have had that functionality offloaded to the drivers.

13. jsntrenkler

jsntrenkler Zealot
    Silver

You are correct, I do not have formatting options.